Apple Won't fix my iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ouimetnick, Sep 25, 2009.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Apple won't repair my iPod. They claim I have abused it. I've made a thread about why my iPod is messed up. This all happened after updating to 3.1.1! The water sensor was not tripped. I looked at it before sending it away. When I get it back, I'll try the Apple Store. If they deny service, I'm going to crack this thing open, to look at its guts.
    Just had to vent.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Attached Files:

2. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Well when I get my iPod back, I will go to the Apple Store and if they deny me service, I will buy take apart tools, and take this thing apart and hopefuly not break it. I might donate some of its organs too. For free of course. So if I'm screwed, and somebody cracks the glass on their touch, they could have the glass cover.
    But I might just keep everything even if its dead.

3. picollus macrumors member

LOL... if you opened you ipod touch... voilà the reason why you lost you warranty !

4. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

The water sensor is in the headphone jack. Look at this article.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302
    I never opened the iPod up.

5. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

So, what's wrong with it? Will it turn on?

Try putting it in DFU mode and doing a restore.

Turn your iPod off (I assume that it already is).
    Plug your iPod touch into your computer.
    Hold down the home and sleep buttons together for 3 - 5 seconds
    Let go of sleep button, but continue to hold down the home button for 15 seconds.

You should now see it show up in iTunes. The screen on the iPod will be black, but you will be able to do a restore if it shows up in iTunes.

If these instructions didn't work, try googling for more.

If you can't get the device in DFU mode, then the problem is probably not caused by 3.1.1. Most likely, then, it is a hardware problem that existed before the upgrade, or was coincidental.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

7. Chimpy macrumors 6502

Did you ask for a detailed explanation as to why they classified it as abuse?

8. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

They said they don't know. That when I called them up last night. And once i put 3.1.1 on it It went into coma mode and screwed up. Then I downgraded to 3.1 through DFU mode and set it up as a new iPod, same thing. Same goes when I put 2.2.1 and 2.2 on it. It still went in to coma with 2.1.1! So either the HW failed by coincidence when I upgraded to 3.1.1, or 3.1.1 caused damage to the hardware on my iPod. Either way, I don't care when my iPod gets damaged physically. It was already scratched to hell before the I got 3.1.1 The rubber gasket came out, but it still worked. The truth it, Apple update messed up my iPod.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't click on this link, it's just to google. :rolleyes:

OP, honestly, I'd like to see pics. I would suspect that they're in the wrong and you admitting defeat so quickly either says you agree or you have more money than sense. I would call Applecare before you attempt to open it up.

10. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I'd have to agree - don't throw up the white flag OP.

Sometimes, updates can kill the Apple product (especially if there is a firmware update) - It happened to my ol' BlackBook ;)

...call AppleCare!

11. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Thanks guys. There is a little dent in the home button and wifi antenna. the back is scratched to hell, and the little black rubber border between the glass and metal is kid of missing. the corners were scratched because a kid at school put sandpaper on it and so the ipod is banged up a little bit. I'm on the phone right now with Applecare.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I always wondered if Apple's decision to say that Applecare is void if any "abuse" is found to be has anything to do with the accessory market. Frankly, I think if you wish to roll without a case fine. However, Apple won't fix your device if you dare not to use some form of protection. It's sad. I really don't care for Apple and their weird policies sometimes.

13. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Its like someone dropping their laptop. It works fine, but when the manufacture comes out with a software update, you laptop dies, and the manufacture says the drop caused it. Thats what the rep is telling me right now.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I understand that but frankly you didn't drop it, or did you say that and I missed it?

15. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Your correct. It looks dropped because some ****** sanded it with sanding paper on the corners on the back casing. The rubber gasket was never installed correctly, so i was able pull part of it out. But Apple better help me out. Or I will call customer relations.

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

Sounds like the declined based solely on a visual inspection.

Since you admit there are dents I would also wonder how the phone got that way.

Abuse is going to be determined by a visual inspection. Perhaps the also opened and saw additiona damage in the dented areas.

You might be better off going to a store.

Worst case, buy the case parts needed to replace the dented parts...then send in for repair.

17. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Well they will be emailing be photos of the damage by monday, so I hope they either fix it, or I will be cracking this boy open, and buying either an iPhone 3GS 32GB or an iPod touch 3G 64GB

18. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

They said the sandpaper has nothing to do with it. The rubber gasket is missing on the top, and dust may have caused the issue. They sent me a photo of the damage. It is low quality, but shows the damage. Thats the kid of damage that looks like The Apple Store would replace, I'll have the iPod on monday or tuesday.

Attached Files:

• ipod.png
      ipod.png
      File size:
      594.3 KB
      Views:
  19. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Well I should be getting my touch back tomorrow or Tuesday. I went to the Apple Store yesterday, to return my iPod nano, and showed them the photo. The Genius laughed, and said, that he can replace it. He said that the back can be scratched, and can be sanded, as long as the insides are fine, he would replace it. He said he had to replace his because of 3.1.1 messing the hardware up on his. So I will have a working iPod with in a week.

20. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

No luck at the Apple Store.:mad: Its in 2 parts. Glass and iPod. I'm trying to find my screw driver set, so I can open it further. I managed to not break the LCD when removing it from the metal backing. :D

21. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick