Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Patent trolls are ruining the system for everyone.
No, it’s the dumb, stupid, ignorant, joe sixpack juries. They know absolutely nothing about tech but have been brainwashed to believe all companies are evil and need to be punished, no matter the evidence

Reactions: tooloud10

macar00n

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2021
I used to read it as “they are a living” (yes, even though those aren’t the exact letters present). Agreed that the capitalization helps considerably. @TheYayAreaLiving
I would like to add my voice to the chorus of those opining that capitalization is important. Without it, it's hard to read words that are smushed together. Does anyone else agree with us that capitalization is important

macar00n

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2021
No, it’s the dumb, stupid, ignorant, joe sixpack juries. They know absolutely nothing about tech but have been brainwashed to believe all companies are evil and need to be punished, no matter the evidence
You're right - these joe sixpack juries are victimizing these defenseless companies. It's like David and Goliath except Goliath looks evil but really it's David that is evil. More resources won't help companies defend themselves because they already have billions or trillions in market cap and they're still being victimized. Goliath being larger won't help Goliath against David because David is cheating. If I haven't been clear, let me be explicit: evil David is joe sixpack.

• Haha
Reactions: jinnj

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Bravo! Patent trolls, heck all trolls, need to be flushed out into the open for what they are - bottom feeders who want a free lunch from others. In other words, professional freeloaders. All of us Apple shareholders are very grateful for Apple's tenacity in calling PMC out regarding this scam. Many companies would have settled out of court regardless of guilt or innocence to save time & money, but Apple called their bluff. Awesome!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Bravo! Patent trolls, heck all trolls, need to be flushed out into the open for what they are - bottom feeders who want a free lunch from others. In other words, professional freeloaders. All of us Apple shareholders are very grateful for Apple's tenacity in calling PMC out regarding this scam. Many companies would have settled out of court regardless of guilt or innocence to save time & money, but Apple called their bluff. Awesome!
It's not the patent trolls which are the problem, insanely vague and wide coverage patents granted are the problem.

Something like: Apparatus to unlock a door.
No-one could bypass the above, unlocking a door would always infringe.

TheDauterive

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2013
private
Put on your thinking cap... where do you think the "patent troll" acquired the patent?
Since you apparently do know your ****, kindly enlighten the rest of us! Where did PRC acquire their patent, and, more importantly, what is the invention that FairPlay allegedly infringed?

Because if the patent is something as generic as “a method for using encryption to secure copyrighted material”, I don’t know that an inventor would be necessary. And if it is a detailed algorithm to be implemented in code, I doubt Apple stole it rather than developing their own algorithm in house.

I could be wrong and Apple could have straight up stolen the math or code from some poor inventor who sold his invention to a patent holding company. But it’s also very possible, perhaps likely, that a patent troll filed a strategically-timed, vaguely-worded patent in order to extort money from companies that do actual work to produce valuable products that make a difference to lives of real people.

Reactions: CarlJ

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I am not disagreeing with the ruling, but the way you say this makes me think, albeit briefly, that they should be paid for their patent. Taking advantage of the law as it is written is what most companies do, and the way you phrase it, it sounds like all that they are guilty of is violating the spirit of the law. Last I heard that's not really a crime.

If it is that the telecom industry needs to grab a mop.
This is a lawsuit, a civil matter. No crime is at issue.

Reactions: ksgant

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I’m not very much on this, but if I remember correctly at least in Spain you cannot patent ideas, you need to develop them at some extend. I think this would avoid all of this trolling which makes no sense for me.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Very good. I hope it starts a larger process about cleaning up the general patent mess.

If a patent holder wait to sue anyone in order to earn more money, they should get no money. Good call judge!

claude31

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
Toulouse, France
Really great news. I hope that will put some stop on those trolls practices that are a plague for the whole industry. And my be a wake up call to clean the patents legislation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.