Apple won't me transfer AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psywzrd, Jul 13, 2010.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I sold my 3GS on ebay and Apple is not letting me transfer my AppleCare protection plan to the new owner because I bought the plan from a non-Apple authorized reseller; however, there is nothing in the terms and conditions stating this restriction. Has anyone else encountered this problem when trying to transfer an AppleCare plan?

2. warrmr macrumors regular

Im not sure about applecare but I got a 80gb iPod from ebay for quite cheap because there was a HDD issue, I took it to the geinus bar and they put the SN into there pc and it was under warentee. They printed the Swap out docs and it had the sellers name and address. I pointed this out in the store and they told me to pretend i didnt say that and sign the paper in that name or the warentee is void as the iPod was registered in there name.

3. hp51089 macrumors newbie

There's nothing to transfer. The person doesn't know what they're talking about on the Apple side. The only thing connected to your AppleCare is the serial number of the device. Once you register the device's serial number, there's nothing else to transfer.

This is only due to device history. If the device was purchased by a credit card or if the serial number is linked to another repair, it will use the customer's name and contact info. If the issue is mentioned prior to the paper work being printed off, the information is editable, but afterwards, it's just a hassle and doesn't really matter. The Apple Store, and maybe even AppleCare, can't really change the information unless there is a repair to be done, and even still, it doesn't matter.

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I've had the genius bar transfer devices into my name a couple times from purchases from people. Nothing to worry about.

5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

You guys realize the transfer process consists of the person waving their arms over the device and going "poof! You're applecare is transferred" right?

There is nothing to transfer, its tied to the serial number.

6. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I agree with you but that's what they told me. There is a process you have to go through where you have to mail, email or fax the information for the new owner of the device so that the plan can be transferred over to them. I did that and they asked me for a copy of my receipt. I sent the paypal email confirmation and they rejected it because it was a non-Apple authorized reseller.

Now the good news! I just called Apple and spoke with someone in AppleCare protection plan administration. I explained my situation to him and he was confused because he said the only time they need a receipt is to confirm that you are indeed the owner of the plan or if you are asking for a refund on the plan. If you are asking for a refund, an ebay or paypal receipt is not acceptable; however, if you just want to transfer the plan no receipt is even required (they just want to make sure that you are the original owner of the plan). Anyway, he put me on hold for about a minute and he took care of the transfer for me and apologized for the confusion. He told me that the new owner of the plan would receive a certificate of coverage within 7-10 days and that the new owner's coverage was effective immediately. He also told me to just call the next time I wanted to transfer a plan and that's what I intend to do.

7. hp51089 macrumors newbie

I guess for official purposes, that was the right thing to do. I worked at an Apple Store for 2 years. Apple doesn't tend to be real picky on the details when it comes to repairs and warranties. If the serial number says it's under warranty, that's that. My suggestion would have been as I posted. Hopefully the buyer receives the certificate with no problems, though I wouldn't expect any issues otherwise.

8. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Key word in my post was DEVICES, not apple care. Just have the person re-register or change the registration to their name and everything will be fine.

9. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm just glad it went so smoothly when I called. I was bummed because I clearly included the AppleCare in my ad and I didn't think I'd have a problem transferring it. Once I went through the terms and conditions and didn't see anything about non-Apple resellers in there I thought I was ok, but you never know with those things. Seems all is good now though so I'm a happy camper. Hopefully this info will help someone in the future as well.