Apple won't repair my 2011 MBP with video issues. Advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mossme89, Sep 20, 2015.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

My late 2011 MacBook Pro has been having issues for sometime. It's the same documented issues of video artifacts and the like. Well the other day my MacBook completely failed while playing Minecraft. So I thought no big deal I'll go to the Apple store and have them replace my logic board since the program is going on for these models.

The tech I dealt with said that it was indeed a combination of the logic board and the video card. But he says that they won't replace it because of the fact that I had previously opened my computer to replace the SSD and upgrade my ram to 16 GB. He said 16 GB was not supported and by adding that amount of RAM I had voided the special warranty/recall for the 2011-2013 MBP's and they would not repair the machine. Now I've been to the store many times with other laptops and I've never heard something like upgrading ram or a hard drive for the warranty. In fact it says on the website that it doesn't.

I also got the impression that the tech I met at the Genius Bar had some sort of prejudice or grudge against me. I'm young and it wouldn't be the first time i've had an Apple genius talk down to me, but he was giving me a look like I was trying to pull one over on him. But he didn't like me for some reason and was short with me most of the time.

So I guess what I'm asking is if I'm SOL or if I should put back the stock hard drive and RAM then go back another day? I'll see if I can get a different tech who is more reasonable. Has anyone had an issue like this?

2. austinpike macrumors 6502

I'd think it's worth a shot. I generally try to revert to stock before any Applecare service, it's a bit of a pain but it keeps issues like that from coming up.

3. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

When i mailed mine into Apple I even stated i had 16 GB installed. Apple repaired it and mailed it back to me within 3 days.

4. Romf macrumors regular

Romf

What I would do is call Applecare and explain them your artifacts problems. They may make you perform some tests so it may take a while, but in the end they should state that your problem is accepted in warranty. Tell them you changed the HDD and upgraded the RAM, ask them if it changes anything: they should tell you No.
    So have them write it and give you a file reference, and go to Apple Store to have your mac repaired: with Apple Care being aware of your SSD/RAM upgrade AND stating that your mac has to be taken into warranty, they shouldn't make any problems.
    I had my mums ipad that had a crack on the screen for no reason (actually more like a line). Good to know that if it isn't an impact with a "net" shape, it is taken into warranty (as it could be the battery for example). I did like I recommended you and it helped because looked like the genius wasn't aware of this and was surprised that this would be accepted for an exchange under warranty.

5. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple says that the repair is free unless there is a cosmetic damage or something like that that will make repairing much more difficult. Do any of you know if they might want to charge to replace the GPU because I have a slight dent on the body?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The hard drive and memory are deemed user replaceable by the machine's manual.

The tech was full of it.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP:

Do you have the original RAM?
    Do you have the original HDD?

If so, open it up and put the original items back inside.

Then, take it to a DIFFERENT Apple Store genius bar and see what kind of response you get there.

Even if it involves a trip of some distance, it may be worth it to you.

8. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do they make notes from the Genius Bar appointment? So would the second genius know about the trip to see the first?

9. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I believe every interaction is logged. Ive sent in a modified iPhone and there was no issue. Ymmv

10. zone23 macrumors 68000

I would return to stock and try again you have nothing to loose.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

The RAM is user replaceable to what Apple supports. If Apple never released that model with 16GB of RAM and never claimed support for 16GB RAM then there is reason enough to deny the repair. If that was not documented in Apple's computers then the OP can easily install a configuration that Apple supports and will likely be able to get it repaired.

12. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Take it back in to Apple Store. If you get the same run around call Apple. Ask to speak with Apple Customer Relations - tell them the story and ask for them to be involved. These are the people that can make things happen. Or email tcook@apple.com and one of the executive customer relationships people will call you if you craft the email right.

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Ask to speak to the manager, do your homework first so you can show that Apple have repaired MBP`s with user upgraded RAM & SSD, ask him/her why then are you being discriminated against.

n.b.. Assuming that there is absolutely no physical damage from the upgrades.

Q-6