Apple won't repair my Mid-2007 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theaudioguy, Jan 13, 2011.

1. theaudioguy macrumors member

I was just wondering if this has happened to anybody,

A couple weeks ago I closed my Macbook Pro because the battery was low and I needed to plug it in. So I plugged it in and opened it back up...Nothing. I pressed the power button and I could hear the SuperDrive move and the hard drive spin, but that's it. No chime, no gray screen, no POST, nothing. So I did some research and found out that the same thing had happened to a LOT of people with my model. So I assumed it was the whole NVIDIA issue.

So I took it into Apple and the Genius right away told me that the NVIDIA chip/card was the culprit but he still needed to test it with their NVIDIA test drive. He comes back and tells me that they were not able to test it because it cannot boot up that far. So he tells me that since they can't tell for sure if it is the NVIDIA, my computer doesn't qualify for the free replacement. And since my AppleCare is 211 days out of warranty, he can't do anything about it. I could have it shipped out and repaired for $360 (which is better than $1000+ in-house). (BTW.. I even had the logic board replaced a couple years ago for a different reason, so the logic board is newer than my MBP)

I understand where they're coming from, but my computer should be covered in the warranty because it has a faulty part on it, NO MATTER WHAT.

What should I do?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The title is a bit misleading. The problem may very well be that the logic board failed, not that the Nvidia graphics card is the problem. Apple is only agreeing to fix the computer for free if the Nvidia card is the culprit.

Let's say that a car company says that if your engine ever fails, they'll fix it for free. Then, your battery dies a few weeks later, the car company isn't going to fix it because the engine isn't the part that failed.

3. ZazenZach macrumors member

"my computer should be covered in the warranty because it has a faulty part on it, NO MATTER WHAT."

Well, let me first start off by saying I'm sorry you're in that situation.

But to be perfectly honest, it seems like the genius was completely in the right. Just because you bought something, doesn't mean you are guaranteed it will work for ever and ever. Especially when you are 211 days out of warranty, which implies your laptop around 4 years old.

Tech parts fall apart after being used, if Apple agreed to replace every part that died, they'd be bankrupt in no time.

4. theaudioguy thread starter macrumors member

I understand completely why they refused to repair it for free. It just bugs me that the Genius told me it the the NVIDIA issue and he'd take care of it, only to come back and tell me no. I do believe that the logic board failed, but I think that the faulty graphics card/chip caused more damage.

I read of some other stories where people go their computers fixed out of warranty and exhibiting the exact same issues. I was just hoping to be one of those lucky ones because I can't afford to fix it right now or buy a new one (which would be nice).

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

I would talk to a manager or supervisor at Apple.

6. theaudioguy thread starter macrumors member

I know he was in the right. He's just following company policy. And it kind of sucks that he was nice or else I would've fought it more.

I believe that the faulty NVIDIA unit caused the damage to the logic board. If my keyboard stopped working I wouldn't be blaming the NVIDIA. My computer is almost 4 years old, but the logic board itself it less than two.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You said yourself that the Genius told you that it was the NVIDIA issue "right away", which means he only guessed as to the nature of the problem. After they investigated, they determined you have another issue that isn't covered by warranty, since yours expired. If you pay to have the other issue fixed and they discover NVIDIA is also a problem, they will repair that free, as long as it's within 4 years from your purchase date.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've been told by AppleCare that they'd replace my computer, and then been called back and told that they wouldn't be able to replace it. It's unfortunate, but it does happen :(

If the Nvidia card was at fault here, the computer would at least post. But since it doesn't seem to be able to post, it's a complete logic board fail. There is a chance that the Nvidia card is still even still working, but there's no way to verify that.

9. djpuma macrumors regular

Take it to a different apple store.

We have the same mbp with that same issue and the first time we took it to apple they said it's not the nvidia card and it will cost to replace it.

I took it to a different apple store and told them it has the same issue as the others with the nvidia issue. He tests it and agrees with me and they fix it on Nvidia's dime.

Try another apple store and if that doesn't work then ask to speak to a supervisor.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Except that genii are notorious for getting things wrong when diagnosing a borked graphics card.

I've seen individuals come up with dead machines and yet get turned away because the genii can't start the machine to run the test and see the result. Really? No video huh? Hrm....

Users end up having to diagnose the machines themselves. Either playing around with the audio after the machine has started up, SSH into it or something of that nature. I even taught some chick how to have the machine speak her serial after the genius denied the machine for repair (motion towards the top left of the screen on the trackpad, hold option, click down, press up, then enter, then command + 4), then I ask "how in the world did a broken machine do that?"

And, of course, the chime would have been muted if the volume was muted prior to the last shut down (mine always is). In that case, a pram reset should've been done to reset the sys volume. I've seen genii skip this step as well.

I'm not saying the video card is always the culprit, but the diagnostic used is inherently flawed and some of the less seasoned genii can't think out of the box and just give up.

11. ethyleneguy2003 macrumors member

Lots of people are in the exact same situation with failed boards are these machines. The Apple discussion boards are pages deep on this very issue. The failure rates on these machines are way out of line. I've had two colleagues of mine with the same machine and all three of us have had logic board failures. Apple's position is beyond frustrating and goes like this;

1) If machine can boot = free repair

2) If machine cannot boot = $900 repair

I find it beyond coincidental that so many of the boards are failing on these machines. It's not as if Apple does not have a history of logic board failures (iBook G4 , iMac G5 come to mind and now add the SR 2007-08 MacBook Pros to that list as well).

12. theaudioguy thread starter macrumors member

I want to join part of the NVIDIA settlement and send my computer to them to fix. I hesitate because it says that if they find anything else wrong with it other than the graphics card, they will charge me then fix it.

13. carlgo macrumors 68000

Same situation here. Mine wouldn't chime (it did right up until I entered the Apple Store!), so the little tester thing couldn't confirm it. The genius guy said he was sure it was the Invidia issue, but that he would have to send it out to another repair facility and that they had the means to test it further and confirm it.

In about 4 days I got it back, all fixed for free.

He said that if it had chimed, they could have fixed it in-store in one day. That is impressive as these things really weren't designed for easy disassembly for repairs.

Unfortunately, I think the on/off button may be bad, or something, as it will shut down sometimes on its own (it re-starts just fine) and so I have to take it back.

14. ethyleneguy2003 macrumors member

That's good to hear carlgo. The problem is that many people in the same situation are just being told they are out of luck if the machine can't boot and they can't run the test. The customer service experience is all over the map on this issue and it's driving people nuts. It seems that most people who can't get the chime are being denied a free repair with no further followthrough.

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

sounds like you have a tough decision to make. i don't think it's the gpu if you really didn't have any graphics issue prior. i would guess the logic board, but i'm a dork.:D

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Did a class action lawsuit ever open due to the quality control issues?

Are they required to replace it? No. With that said, I personally think they should as they will not be able to prove that the quality control issues were not the reason for the failure.

17. hah116 macrumors newbie

I'll post my question here since it seems to be similar to the OP's problem.

I received an email today about this class action.

I haven't been able to use my MBP in approx. 8 months due to the screen not turning on when you power on the laptop.

I took it into Apple to see how much it would cost to fix (I was 2 weeks outside my voided 3 year AppleCare coverage).

They said it would have been replaced for free because it is a known problem, but because it shows physical damage (from a parking lot incident), it would not be covered. They quoted me $600 to be sent to the depot to get everything fixed, including new casing.

I never sent it in because I had an older PowerBook that was sufficient for my current needs. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $600 to get an already 3 year old laptop fixed, or just scrap it and buy a newer one.

My question is... do you think they will agree to replace only the NVIDIA GPU without requiring me to have the rest of it fixed? It worked like a champ for over a year and a half after the physical damage incurred. Apple store tested the laptop when I took it in and the only thing that failed was the graphics card.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

18. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

yes the class action lawsuit is underway. and if the computer qualifies, then it will be fixed for free.
    http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

19. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I'm not sure how the genius was in the right here at all. He didn't and couldn't run a diagnostic on the machine to prove or disprove that the problem was the video card. So to deny coverage at all when they didn't properly verify that there was a coverable issue?

The problems with these older MBP's and the video card issues have been so wide spread that Apple has every responsibility to ensure that even if several errors are made(meaning a non-nvidia problem is replaced when it shouldn't have been), I think Apple needs to do everything possible to take care of their customers.

I would go to another store, see what they say, and consider speaking with customer relations.

Keep us updated.

20. ethyleneguy2003 macrumors member

I'll second what docal said.

Apple is really letting down a lot of their best customers on this issue.

They are denying repairs without being able to prove/disprove it's the Nvidia issue.

Plus even if all these boards were failing due to some other issue it's still a big problem as it shows the boards have a second major defect.

The bottom line is that these machines are failing at an alarming rate for whatever reason (and the reason really does not matter to the customer).

Like most people I expect an item I paid $2200 for to last more than 3 years.

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It's a electronic gadget. It happens. There is nothing much you can really do. Apple is right and you are out of warranty not be weeks or months, but almost 3 years. U said you thought about arguing. What would you say? Really... nothing. Take it to Nvidia for their faulty graphics card, but apple is not really in fault here.

22. Loops macrumors member

There sure must be a lot of rich folks in this thread, with their blithe "too bad, so sad" posts.

Some of us don't like getting screwed over. Some of us can't afford it.

As for that Nvidia lawsuit, it looks as if it's more of a bad joke than Apple's pseudo-repair policy (replace defective parts with defective parts and let users play a "let's hope our machine fails many times so we can get resolution" lottery).

"Take it to Nvidia for their faulty graphics card, but apple is not really in fault here."

Yes, because it's a Nvidia Macbook Pro, not an Apple Macbook Pro. Sorry, but Apple sold us the defective GPUs, not Nvidia. Nvidia sold them to Apple. It is responsible to Apple. Apple is responsible to us.

If Ford sells us a car with a bad gas tank, if that gas tank is from a supplier it doesn't mean Ford isn't liable.

23. theaudioguy thread starter macrumors member

This if my feeling exactly. I understand that they are not required to replace it if they can't test it, but they know there's a widespread problem with it and they should bite the bullet and replace all the logic boards that CAN be faulty.

24. theaudioguy thread starter macrumors member

I get that it's an electronic gadget and stuff happens, but this has been happening to hundreds of people. I am only out of my warranty by about 8 months not 3 years, which I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. I still think Apple is at fault here but at least they are replacing them for free, IF THE COMPUTER QUALIFIES FOR THE REPAIR. But I feel they should offer free replacements for all the affected models regardless of signs of failure.

25. ethyleneguy2003 macrumors member

This issue is 100% Apple's responsibility. Apple sold these machines to the consumer so it's Apple's responsibility to look after the customer which they are, at best, only partly doing. If Apple has an issue with its supplier beyond that it's up to Apple to work that out with the supplier.

The duration of the warranty is a non issue if the defect is as widespread as it seems to be (recall also that Apple is providing 4 years coverage but only to those who pass it's questionable testing procedure).

When companies sell products with widespread defects and fail to address them it forms the basis for a class action lawsuit irregardless of the duration of the original warranty coverage provided by the manufacturer.