Apple won't replace for dead pixel?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aplqna, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aplqna, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

aplqna macrumors 6502

Hi all,

This week, I sent in my 4th Generation iPod Touch for repair because there was a dead pixel right in the middle of my screen. It was small but very distracting. Since it has the Retina Display, I was not sure exactly how many pixels were dead.

Anyway, I sent it in and was updated yesterday that the repair team could "not duplicate the issue". They sent it back to me today and lo and behold as soon as I turn it on, the dead pixel is there. I called in and spoke with a woman from AppleCare who transferred me to Customer Relations- the lady put me on hold for a while, came back and said "It does appear that the tech team found a dead pixel. However, they say it is within Apple's specifications for a functioning product." I went on to inform her of the links some people have posted in the past showing that Apple says it will replace an iPod Touch or iPhone for even ONE SINGLE dead pixel. She brushed it off and said "That's what they told me. I'm not on the tech team."

Am I missing something here? Did Apple change it's policy on how many pixels must be dead on a 4th Gen iPod Touch before they repair or replace it? Thanks.

Here is a link to Apple Policy: http://www.gadgetvenue.com/apple-dead-pixel-policy-iphone-ipad-screens-leaked-11054009/

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hello-

It depends on the colour of the pixel. There are certain tolerance levels, I.E. a black/dead or white/stuck pixel will have less priority over a florescent green pixel that has become stuck.

3. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

4. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

why not call back and talk to someone else that might be able to help you? You Might get someone who will be nice and helpful

5. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

I already sorted it out. I am just asking what people have been told from Apple if they had the same problem.

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

If its sorted out, why bother with knowing? be happy it's done :confused:

7. aplqna, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010

aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to know because I am curious and I want to see if anyone has dealt with this situation and if Apple is consistent on this issue. I am sure this thread will also help people wondering the same thing who may be in this situation.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I don't quite get the point of this thread to be honest

What are you hoping to gain op? Are you just asking an inquiry concerning how apple resolves an issue that has already been resolved or what?

9. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

What does it matter what I am "hoping to gain"? I said the matter was resolved - I did not say Apple resolved it. I'm not getting into detail with how it was resolved, that's my business. What are you hoping to gain by posting a comment like this? I already explained myself. I am hoping to gain insight into what Apple's official policy is on this issue. I hope to hear from other people who have had the problem and hear their experience. I want to know if this issue is being handled in different ways or by a strict policy. How is it hard to understand the point of this thread? If you have not dealt with this issue with Apple, then you don't need to respond. If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You know, being rude to those you are seeking advice/help on is a poor way to approach things

Hardly gives any incentive to offer insight on your situation now does it? I asked a simple question and politely at at that and you have to reply in a snarkly manner.

Well done:rolleyes:

And by the way, I will reply to threads how I see fit. However, thanks for the concern regarding advice on what to do if I like it or not...

Regarding Apple's policy, it depends on the genius and in reality, if you are nice and they are in a good mood, they can pretty much do you favors outside of whatever Apple's policy may be

11. aplqna, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010

aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir, you came to my thread and replied with sarcasm yourself. As I said, I am not seeking advice from you. I am seeking input from those who have experienced the same situation. Therefore, those who don't have that experience need not reply. You and the other poster were here to be nosy and somehow make it look like I am asking an insane question just because I have resolved my situation. Thank you, but I don't wish to have further conversation with you on here.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

To my understanding, a manager has authority to disregard policy in certain circumstances

For instance, I have had a free replacement battery on an out of warranty machine. I have also had a free logic board replacement on an out of warranty machine. It is up to the genius/manager

Likewise, I have ran into very unhelpful geniuses in the past but upon a later visit, with a different person, got a different result

What things are you so sure they have set in stone?

13. mstrze macrumors 68000

Untrue. You can often get more than you expect from one representative while another might shoot you down. They do indeed have leeway...in just about any business. Case in point: I have had great success dealing with DirecTV, telling them I was going to leave. I found a really friendly and helpful rep who upgraded me out the wazoo and made me an offer I could not refuse. I have had friends in the exact same situation be told...sorry, nothing we can do.

Even the document about the dead pixels that I saw essentially gave a guideline for replacement, and many users explained that they had success in situations other than the specific listed ones. If I were the rep...I would have to say, given that you sent the Touch in and 'our' techs found nothing wrong, there is nothing wrong...I mean, it's already been in my company's hands and checked out.

Again...you seem to be asking for help in the original post, yet you say you have solved the issue so don't try to help you. Then when we offer suggestions about how things may operate you immediately shoot those down as being incorrect.

14. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

First, you did not have the same experience I am addressing, so you have not been insightful in respect to what I have asked. I said:

"Am I missing something here? Did Apple change it's policy on how many pixels must be dead on a 4th Gen iPod Touch before they repair or replace it?"

I also stated I want to hear from those who were in my situation. Nowhere did I ask for help whatsoever. I was curious about a policy and how people were handled with a specific problem.

I don't want your "suggestions about how things may operate". I want to know the official policy (if anyone has been privy to it) and people's experience dealing with the same situation and their stories.

I know that sometimes people can bend rules and it depends on who you speak to- but there are some cases where that is just not true.

Also, if you read my original post, you would understand that they did indeed find something wrong - A dead pixel - but for some reason listed it as "not able to duplicate problem" and told the woman who helped me that one dead pixel was not grounds for repair. I have heard here that it is, so therefore that would be where my curiosity stems from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.