Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ironclock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2021
Hi everyone! A friend of mine suggested posting this here. I am super frustrated so please bear with me.

I received my Silver AirPods Max back in January as a gift and I've been 100% satisfied with them. A few months into owning them I noticed the ear cushions were getting pretty dirty so I cleaned them per Apple's official instructions. The headband was not as bad so I didn't bother to clean it.

Last week, I decided to clean the cushions again as well as the headband. I followed Apple's official instructions yet again, and the headband ended up permanently staining.

airpodsmax.jpg
IMG_4544.jpg

For comparison, this is what the headband is supposed to look like:
1627696162141.png

I contacted Apple about the issue via online support and they suggested I go down to an Apple Store to do an exchange for a different color because I didn't want to keep having the same issue if I was given the same color again.

So I did just that this past Tuesday and asked them about my options. They said that because the APM were gifted to me and not purchased at that particular Apple Store, they would not be able to do an exchange but it would be possible to start a repair order for a replacement. Fine. So that's what they did. They took the APM, sent it in, and I was supposed to receive my replacement today.

I get an e-mail yesterday saying that they were "unable to duplicate the issue" (what?) and that the repair could not be completed. I received them today in the mail, and I couldn't get over the irony of such nice wrapping/packaging that contained these disgusting stained APM.

I contacted Apple yet AGAIN prior to this post and spent about an hour on the phone with them. Eventually, they told me that my limited warranty doesn't cover "accidental damage by the user" and there is nothing they can do for me. How is this accidental damage when I followed Apple's instructions exactly as they were set out?

I have no idea what to do at this point. I wonder if others have had the same issue?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Hi everyone! A friend of mine suggested posting this here. I am super frustrated so please bear with me.

I received my Silver AirPods Max back in January as a gift and I've been 100% satisfied with them. A few months into owning them I noticed the ear cushions were getting pretty dirty so I cleaned them per Apple's official instructions. The headband was not as bad so I didn't bother to clean it.

Last week, I decided to clean the cushions again as well as the headband. I followed Apple's official instructions yet again, and the headband ended up permanently staining.

View attachment 1813028 View attachment 1813027

For comparison, this is what the headband is supposed to look like:
View attachment 1813036

I contacted Apple about the issue via online support and they suggested I go down to an Apple Store to do an exchange for a different color because I didn't want to keep having the same issue if I was given the same color again.

So I did just that this past Tuesday and asked them about my options. They said that because the APM were gifted to me and not purchased at that particular Apple Store, they would not be able to do an exchange but it would be possible to start a repair order for a replacement. Fine. So that's what they did. They took the APM, sent it in, and I was supposed to receive my replacement today.

I get an e-mail yesterday saying that they were "unable to duplicate the issue" (what?) and that the repair could not be completed. I received them today in the mail, and I couldn't get over the irony of such nice wrapping/packaging that contained these disgusting stained APM.

I contacted Apple yet AGAIN prior to this post and spent about an hour on the phone with them. Eventually, they told me that my limited warranty doesn't cover "accidental damage by the user" and there is nothing they can do for me. How is this accidental damage when I followed Apple's instructions exactly as they were set out?

I have no idea what to do at this point. I wonder if others have had the same issue?
Ewwwww, did you wash them in tea?

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
looks like sweat staining to me.

I referee and play sports in white caps which inevitably always end up this colour regardless or washing every usage.

Reactions: macsound1

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
Looks like sweat stains to me too. Unfortunately, this screams cosmetic to me so I highly doubt Apple would ever replace it. You might be able to argue for a replacement under accidental damage if you had AppleCare+, but if you don't have AppleCare+ you're probably SOL.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I, also, have the Silver APM, and I make a point to make sure my hair is clean before wearing them. I know that might sound like something that is not necessary when using headphones, but...mine still look like they did the day I got them a few months back. I have had to wash the cushions a couple times, but I literally just put them in a bowl of water with a small amount of laundry detergent, scrub them gently with a washcloth, and they look fine. I have not had problems with the headband staining, but I have cleaned it once just to be safe. Sorry to say, but I think you just need to be sure to have clean, non-oily hair before using!

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Look for a "for parts" Airpods Max on eBay and swap the headband out or get these from Amazon:
www.amazon.com/AWINNER-Headband-Compatible-Protectors-Protector/dp/B08XP8FTKX
And then wear a shower cap ? Seriously, some headphone headbands are prone to dislocation due to body oils, or of course hair conditioners. I've got some Bowers and Wilkins P9 headphones that have very thin, light brown leather ear cups, and headband pad. They have darkened over time from skin/hair contact. But, in the case of leather aging they look good.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Use scotch guard or similar -- such as hat spray.

I use something like this on all of my hats and they all still look brand new. Zero sweat stains.

Edit: Do this when its brand new / just been cleaned.

Last edited:
Reactions: jazz1 and macsound1

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Use the sim tool to remove and wash the headband if they don’t fix it. Good thing otherwise too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.