APPLE wont take they're OWN GIFT CARD as PAYMENT?!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGuy35, Mar 24, 2008.

1. MacGuy35 macrumors member

Is apple EFFIN serious that they won't take my gift card as payment for a 16GB iphone?!!! And on top of that they won't refund me CASH for the gift card?! WTF kind of crap is that?!!!

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

You should be able to pay $1 with a credit card and the balance with the gift card.

3. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Really? I thought it had to be with a credit card. Guess I have been away for awhile. That is good news for me. Will a debit card work like a credit card would? Or does it have to be a credit card?

4. jeffmc macrumors 6502

nope as long as a portion is paid with a credit so the name goes on file

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't know the validity of the first part, but NOBODY will give you cash back for a gift card. Everybody who hands out gift cards will take the $X of credit off it until you have completely spent it.

6. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

So you couldn't just pay with cash even? Lame since you could just pull the sim card and sell it. Still more traceable I know.

8. MacGuy35 thread starter macrumors member

I apologize people. What I have is actually store credit put onto one of those gift cards. I returned an ipod touch 32gb for store credit and now i'm planning on using the "store credit" towards my purchase. Is there a difference between "store credit" and a gift card??

9. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I think its retarded. They should at least take valid state I.D. with cash or gift card and put it in their system, instead of only taking credit cards.

10. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Same Difference really... :rolleyes:

From what I remember it was to limit the people form buying like 20 of these at a time. I don't remember exactly though.... :(

I'm not saying I agree with it by any means especially since I am working to pay of ALL of my debt and eventually getting rid of CCs.

11. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

yea thats pretty dumb of them, i am going to say that this is strictly AT&T's fault.

12. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

How???

13. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Yeah, I thought it was Apple's policy not AT&T. Then again maybe AT&T already had the same policy, but Apple had a policy change. Though I really have no idea. :confused:

14. SleepingSicknes macrumors member

will they accept debit card?
    candian debit card?

15. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

16. SleepingSicknes macrumors member

17. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

So really what is the purpose of this? To make it more "traceable"? Why does the purchase have to be traceable? And who cares if someone pays cash for 20 of them and turns around and sells them, they still made the $ on the sale.

I realize Apple gets a kickback from new ATT signups but its not like unlocking methods are not widely known about.

I just think its a stupid policy. Why doesnt the government do away with paper money and make us use CC for all purchases to trace EVERYTHING we buy?

18. MacGuy35 thread starter macrumors member

Ok fellas sorry for the delay. The thing is they DONT accept GIFT CARDS as payment for iphone unless like someone mentioned you pay $20 on CC or debit card and the rest on the gift card. They DID however ACCEPT my store credit that came in a gift card.

19. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

20. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I walked right in and gave them six whatever hundred in cash, to place on a gift card. she didnt even give me the gift card she just swiped it and gave me my new 16 gig iphone. Im not sure where you got your info? They do not take cash, only gift cards or credit cards:)