MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MTV.com reports that Apple is meeting with hundreds of indie label representatives on Thursday to discuss adding their content to the iTunes Music Service.

Senior iTunes music store staffers will show the label reps how the store runs and they'll perform some hands-on demos, though it is unclear whether Apple boss Steve Jobs will attend. The spokesperson declined to specify which, or how many, labels were invited to the meeting.

The article quotes Sub Pop and Matador Records as two labels specifically planning to attend the event.

Indie Support for the iTunes Music Store has been expected and mentioned specifically by Steve Jobs.

catalystx

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2003
Nice to see Apple isn't sitting their laurels with adding more selection to the iTMS, especially with all the competition popping up. I'd still like to know how much of the 99 cents the artists get...

Comment

Jesus on OSX

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by catalystx I'd still like to know how much of the 99 cents the artists get...

afaik, with the mainstream (RIAA-affiliated) artists, apple gives away 60cents (NYT) from each track sale to the label. Out of which probably 10% or less goes to the artist I would suppose.

With independents this figure might be different since indie labels usually don't screw their artists over with inflated tariffs and dues.

Comment

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
This is nothing but a good thing - but I'm willing to bet someone will post a negative rating on it anyway. What's with that? Can't we all just get along?

Comment

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
this is a good sign.. the more choices the better

i see a good cycle going on.. as apple adds more labels, more people will want to sign up.. as more people sign up, more labels will want to sign on.. this is will continue in an upward spiral until itunes for windows is released.. and that's when the floodgates will burst open :)

Comment

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
Great to see apple working hard on getting more than just the mainstream of talent. Hopefully this can happen and truly put ITMS over the edge and make all of the windows peeps salivate even more!

Comment

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by Jesus on OSX
afaik, with the mainstream (RIAA-affiliated) artists, apple gives away 60cents (NYT) from each track sale to the label. Out of which probably 10% or less goes to the artist I would suppose.

With independents this figure might be different since indie labels usually don't screw their artists over with inflated tariffs and dues.

Actually it's roughly 18% of that 60 cents that goes to the artist.

Comment

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Think about the young people (i.e. music buyers) who are into non-mainstream music, and suddenly you realise that your secondary audience (if we are assuming that the core audience is young teenagers - i.e. those without a credit card - the primary target audience of the music industry) is potentially as big as your primary audience (not every child can persuade his/her parents to pay for music via credit card).

So, this massive 18-25 market, which generally cares more about what Drowned in Sound says than what Rolling Stone says therefore demands the addition of independent labels. That Apple are getting on to this removes a major obstacle to people like me using the iTMS.

Hooray it's happening now.

p.s. I also recommend Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie.

Comment

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by Mudbug
This is nothing but a good thing - but I'm willing to bet someone will post a negative rating on it anyway. What's with that? Can't we all just get along?

I bet someone will too, for some reason more than 50% of the users said its a bad thing that moterolla finally started working on the g4 again

Comment

mislabeledstar

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Los Angeles
beautiful to see matador was marked as invited, as well as sub-pop. i'm hoping to see barsuk, deep elm n jade tree jumping on there....... beautiful if it all comes through.

i just wonder if apple will cut the same deal with the indei labels or try to take more money themselves because they'd have more leverage than with the major labels...... just some food for thought

Comment

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
The head white boy in charge....who's the man> you is steve!:D

Comment

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
good news, I would love to pick up some SubPop albums, Matador as well....maybe I'll finally spend some money on the AMS.

Comment

mrwilly123

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX DEF JUX

Comment

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Dude, the Electronic labels really need to climb on board. That has to be the worst section of the store.

And who put the one negative rating? Must have been one of the aussies still crying because it hasn't gone international yet. :p

Comment

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
Thrill Jockey

Steve if your reading this make sure Thrill Jockey Records jumps in. Then you will have some of my money.
I haven't found a single song to listen to..as much as i enjoy watching Kelly Clarkson and Roooooben Studdard on the TV, their music does nothing for me.

Comment

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
finally. (a short list)

matador
merge
sub pop
touch n' go
thrill jockey
drag city
K
emperor jones
kindercore
flydaddy
up!
candy ass
chainsaw
kill rock stars

keep em coming

Comment

nodmonkey

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Hampshire, UK
Originally posted by trebblekicked
finally. (a short list)

matador
kill rock stars

keep em coming

what is this list? your want list? labels actually involved? if the latter, how do you know?, and HORRAY!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.