Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on an updated version of its popular Beats Solo on-ear headphones, according to code located in the iOS 17.4 release candidate that Apple put out today. MacRumors contributor Aaron Perris found several references to the Beats Solo 4 headphones, including images.

new-beats-solo-4.jpg

The Beats Solo 4 look similar to the Solo 3 headphones, but have design tweaks that bring them in line with the Beats Studio Pro. Spatial Audio is supported according to the code, but we don't know what other features to expect at this time.

There are three colors in the files, including black, pink, and blue. We can expect some of the changes that were brought to the Beats Studio Pro last year, such as improved sound quality and support for Personalized Spatial Audio. The headphones will support the same gestures as the Studio Pro, with a press on the "b" button to play/pause and answer calls, a double press to skip songs, and a long press to activate Siri. Apple will also likely swap the old micro-USB port for a new USB-C port to bring the headphones in line with the rest of its products.

Apple first released the Solo 3 headphones way back in 2016, and while there have been multiple color updates, nothing else has changed since then. The Solo 4 will be the first major update to the on-ear headphones in many years.

Article Link: Apple Working on Beats Solo 4 Headphones

Last edited:

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Same for me, except the Beats Fit Pro that somehow have a better fit for my ears compared to the AirPods Pro 2 🤷‍♂️
beats fit pro stay in ears better for sure, but they start to hurt after a while due to the wing tips pressing on ear.

also my wing tips have tears on both as has been reported by many others, design flaw.

charging case is wired only.

3 disappointments

• Love
Reactions: Student of Life

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
the biggest design flaw with any beats over ear headphone has been the leather ear cup material starting to pill & shred.
magnetic changeable ear cups like the AP Max would be a true upgrade

Reactions: MichaelAdam

JoForumBlueGold

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
They should just bring back the Solo Pro... That was a true evolution of the Solo line with way better build quality (better than the Studio Pro). It looks like they're using the same design and build as the Solo 3.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I had the last Beats Solo Pro. The first one was faulty, they couldn't repair it so replaced it. It would not pair with my Intel NUC running linux, and the connection with the Windows 10 machine wasn't the best. Connection with the iPhone was good as expected. And overall I wasn't impressed. Later, I ended up buying the Bose QC45, and it's superb, solid and quick connection across all platforms, and so much better in every way than the Beats. Will not be buying Beats again, and reluctant to buy any Apple headphones. Basically, Apple headphones are only for Apple products.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I wonder if this will come with noise cancellation like the Solo Pro.

I had the Solo Wireless 3, and currently have the Solo Pro, and even though the Solo Pro are more convenient thanks to the H2 chip, the quick pairing and switch between devices, and the noise cancellation (that’s why I kept them) when I had both I preferred the deeper bass of the Solo Wireless 3. It was more fun to listen to. The Solo Pro have a more balanced sound, and many think this is a positive. As I said, I kept the Solo Pro for other reasons, but they still sound pretty good.

Reactions: DaPhox

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
With the Studio Pro headphones often being on sale for less than $200, there’s really not even a reason for these.

maczaddy

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2024
NY
Wonder if they will address the major flaw I saw with the Studio Pro, which seem to always be on sale because it’s hard to justify the regular price point when it can’t even do a basic auto pause and will stay one and kill the battery unless your completely shut off the headset. Even with the sale price I had to return them.

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
Same for me, except the Beats Fit Pro that somehow have a better fit for my ears compared to the AirPods Pro 2 🤷‍♂️
I absolutely love my Beats Fit Pros. Was always waiting for the AirPods Pro to fall out of my ears when I exercised. Great to be able to work out without "drop anxiety."

Reactions: forzagaribaldi

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Let's recap.
Apple introduced Solo Pro with ANC after that and killed said product later on.
(Solo Pro was on ear and I am not a fan of it.)
Meanwhile, the Studio Pro came out also with ANC but without any special Apple silicon chips (W1, H1, and such).
(At least that is over the ear.)
What is Apple planning do with this so called Solo 4?
Over the ear with ANC? That would overlap with the Studio Pro.
On ear with ANC? Then it is Solo Pro all over again.
Over the ear without any ANC? Then what is so special about it?
Hopefully more info coming up will clarify stuffs up.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Let's recap.
Apple introduced Solo Pro with ANC after that and killed said product later on.
(Solo Pro was on ear and I am not a fan of it.)
Meanwhile, the Studio Pro came out also with ANC but without any special Apple silicon chips (W1, H1, and such).
(At least that is over the ear.)
What is Apple planning do with this so called Solo 4?
Over the ear with ANC? That would overlap with the Studio Pro.
On ear with ANC? Then it is Solo Pro all over again.
Over the ear without any ANC? Then what is so special about it?
Hopefully more info coming up will clarify stuffs up.
Agreed, I don't understand why Apple killed Solo Pro for no reason? I mean it was an obvious upgrade from Solo 3.. More comfy, better build and decent ANC. I still have one and I love it as an on-ear. Not too big, but fuller sound compared to earbuds.

Now Apple came up with Solo 4? I hate the new Studio Pro.. no outer redesign, and flimsy plastic shell kills it for me.

Reactions: B4U

davidhunter51

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
Meanwhile, the Powerbeats Pro haven’t been updated in almost exactly half a decade. 😔
And they still carry them in their stores! I love my PbPro, the only buds that don't fall out- Apple just can't figure out what they are doing with two brands of earphones. So frustrating.

Reactions: AGreenOlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.