MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

162737-iad_and_iphone_4.jpg

NewTeeVee reports that Apple is developing the capability to offer "in-stream ads" for video content on its iOS devices, looking to entice content owners to take advantage of the monetization possibilities and bring their videos to the platform.
Many publishers have been slow to bring their videos to the iPhone and iPad, due in part to the lack of mature tools available for monetizing content on those devices. Because iOS devices don't support Adobe Flash, publishers need to do additional work to make their current ad-serving systems work with the HTML5 video delivery required for the iPhone and iPad. That's caused many publishers to think twice before delivering video to those devices.
Sources indicate that Apple's video ad product would work with both QuickTime and HTML5 video and offer a similar experience to the ads inserted in Flash video clips today.
The ad product would not only enable video publishers to serve their own ads against videos on the iPhone or iPad, but it would give Apple the ability to act as a video ad network for those that don't wish to sell their own inventory. The in-stream ad system is also expected to have some targeting capabilities built-in, with mobile location data and anonymous user behavior data to help deliver targeted ads to consumers.
Apple could introduce the new ad service in the first or second quarter of next year, initially targeting the iPad and iPhone, but looking toward the Apple TV as another platform for ad-supported video content.

Article Link: Apple Working on iAds for Video Content?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
If Apple offers this on the new Apple TV as an option for streaming free HD content from the networks, it is GAME OVER. Actually with Airplay it doesn't have to come to the Apple TV per se, it just has to be used by the content providers.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Now come the posters saying this somehow means more ads. As though ads before videos never happened before :)

Content isn’t free to make, and I’d rather have two choices (direct vs. ads) than one for how I pay for the content I enjoy.

Sometimes I choose the ads method. If those ads are iAds instead of the zillion other kinds, it won’t bother me.

Comment

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
This is *fantastic* news.

The REASON sites aren't switching away from Flash is that there is no way to embed ads in the HTML5/MPEG-4 video setup.

If Apple can do this well, they can eliminate the strongest reason people have to stay on Flash and open up sites like Hulu.

Boo to the negative voters.

Comment

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
If Apple offers this on the new Apple TV as an option for streaming free HD content from the networks, it is GAME OVER. Actually with Airplay it doesn't have to come to the Apple TV per se, it just has to be used by the content providers.
^^ this

If Apple can find a way to give viewers the choice of paying for clean content or watching all or most of iTunes' library but having to sit through ads...the cable providers are going to weep.

Comment

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah 'cause the Apple TV just isn't quite there without ads. :eek:

Some people would prefer to watch TV shows for free with commercials rather than pay .99 to watch TV shows without commercials. This should give us and the content providers more options and help bring more networks on board. Apple could even offer a low subscription price plus the commercials along with all the seasons of your favorite TV shows streamed to you on demand. Maybe around $10 a month. In other words, they would create their own Hulu Plus except this one would fit in with iOS and the new Apple TV like a glove.

Isn't that huge new data center in North Carolina supposed to be ready by the end of the year? ;)

Comment

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
This is major - we are witnessing the democratization of Television. Granted, the Cable companies are going to fight it, and fight it hard... but in the end, I believe they will lose, and consumers will win. No more subscription fees for ad-supported media, or if there are fees, they will be low, and there will be fewer ads.

Independent networks, operating internet-only, are not far away.

Comment

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ

The REASON sites aren't switching away from Flash is that there is no way to embed ads in the HTML5/MPEG-4 video setup.

If Apple can do this well, they can eliminate the strongest reason people have to stay on Flash and open up sites like Hulu.

+1

Comment
Aug 26, 2008

Er, no, that's not all there is too it.

Comment

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Er, no, that's not all there is too it.

Nice spelling there.

...and no, that's not the entire equation, but that's one of the biggest factors. Add in the development costs they've already spent on delivering flash video, and there ya go.

Comment

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Now come the posters saying this somehow means more ads. As though ads before videos never happened before :)

Content isn’t free to make, and I’d rather have two choices (direct vs. ads) than one for how I pay for the content I enjoy.

Sometimes I choose the ads method. If those ads are iAds instead of the zillion other kinds, it won’t bother me.

Thank goodness some people understand that content doesn't magically appear. As a newspaper person, this is a hard thing to sell people on because we've been dishing out our stuff mostly for free with just ads on websites that people don't click too much.

I personally don't know how I would implement something like this, but that's probably why I'm not in advertising. I personally don't mind ads just because they're ads. I just wish the people who spent money advertising stuff sold things I gave a crap about.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.