Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I agree with some of the posters here that apple is becoming more than a dull commputer company-sorry but I and most people (sorry) just don't get turned on by computers, even if they are macs (well I agree macs are lovely to use and several eons ahead of PC's in the evolutionary scale). What I want is a big ipod touch/iphone. Who wants a keyboard (well there could and will have to be be a virtual one at the bottom) The ipod touch is just a revelation to use and is the future of computing. Can I have a big one please?

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
You can still use a KB and mouse.

It cracks me up how so many people respond with "I would rather use a keyboard and mouse". It isn't like Apple's going to force you into using only a large version of the iPhone keyboard if they did this TS Mac. You're certainly free to never touch your screen if you so choose.

However, I think of my Aunt, who is new to computers... I have to explain in great detail how to click and hold on an object to drag it to another location with a mouse. There is so much with the computer where she just "doesn't get it", and never will. In her case, if she were able to touch and drag a file or folder from one desktop window to another, it would make perfect sense to her. She would "get it" after the first try. "Dragging" would take on a whole new meaning (or at least a more understandable meaning).

I see it making sense with apps like iPhoto, when you're moving images around in a book layout. Much the same with iWeb, Pages, and especially Keynote... Dragging images out of the photos palette and sliding them around in the layout, for instance.

In my case, I would love to have multi-touch, either as an option or just built-in (assuming it doesn't drive the cost up dramatically). If you don't need it, or don't like it, don't use it. Simple as that. It isn't like CoverFlow will all of the sudden "only" work with touch. They'll keep the mouse and KB involved with it as well.

As for that mock-up laptop image earlier on... I don't think I'd like a flat keyboard like that. A large part of what allows me to type as fast (and somewhat accurate) as I do has to do with the feel of actual physical keys.

Although for a device that's not designed to be a common use computer it could be cool if it were like an earlier mock-up (based on a patent application, I believe) that showed a touch screen on the bottom that could change into different things based on what program is being run (sliders for a music mixing app, for instance).

Zillatron

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2004
Although for a device that's not designed to be a common use computer it could be cool
It would be perfect! iPhone isn't ment to be a computer in the 'normal' sense.

Even though it can DO most of the 'every-day' things you expect a computer to do...web and email. Add photos, video, an iPod, youtube and the standard 'widgets'...then ad a pinch of an SDK which will undoubtedly give you a whole heap more widgets and apps specific to what people need on the go.

All of a sudden having a keyboard and mouse is pointless because you can already use all that WITHOUT them anyway. You wouldn't use an iPhone/iPod touch as your 'primary' web browsing machine, but at the same time you can't use an iMac on a train in the morning (easily ;) )

Z

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
The last thing I want to do it touch my computer screen. I hate when people come over and touch the screen with dirty paws.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Why do so many of you get bent out of shape at the notion that Apple may produce a multi-touch tablet or Mac? Apple is no longer a computer/iPod company only, they are becoming much more.

Apple is slowly becoming a 'consumer electronics' company not just a pc, laptop and ipod company. They drop 'Computer' from their name and broaden the product family outside of computers with AppleTV and the iPhone. They've ventured out into online music and video content delivery (iTunes) with video rentals likely to follow soon. They are working with automotive companies and designing automotive user interfaces. This is no longer your father's Apple Computer company, they are becoming a full-fledged consumer electronics provider.

This means that you will continue to see Apple produce an even wider variety of 'consumer electronics' devices for many different markets, some mainstream (like pc & mobile phones) and some niche (possibly like the tablet market).

I know a touch Mac or tablet makes no sense to some of you, which means you are not the intended audience. For others, this is 'exactly' what they have been waiting for. I like what Apple is becoming because it means we will have an even wider variety of Apple products and appliances to choose from. Apple is becoming the next General Electric.

You heard it here first (at least I think I'm first...somebody Google that to make sure) and that's my $.02 .

All I'm hoping for is for them to make a TV. Would love to see what that'd be like

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
One wonders if Apple has something like the Optimus Tactus keyboard in mind?

Hopefully without the uber-ridiculous price tag and the lack of tactile feedback for professional, speedy, accurate typing.

If we want to improve the keyboard, make is so that I don't even need one in the first place. I hope tech companies aren't trying to reinvent the wheel with this concept of a flat, smooth, touch keyboard.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Multitouch mousepad

Saves the main screen (which wil be vertical, and in front of you). Solves the ergonomics of using it (having to reach out to touch your main monitor, versus moving wrist slighty past the mouse to the pad).

Upgrades any mac you plug it into.
A standard format, that any program developer could start using. With the overlap of Apple's style in UI, couldn't the iPhone's touch interface experience be fed back into other more desktop programs?
e.g. Pinch a pic in Photoshop CS3. Think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIxf3ndi34E
e.g. Flick through files in preview 9surely finder and preview are screaming out for a touch interface, now we know it works well on an iPhone?
e.g. 3D modeling? An auxillary/.rival to glove/3 knob systems
e.g. Mail/? want to get rid of that, that that that and that email? a mouse does point and poke very badly in comparison to a finger.

I'd have thought they'd be jumping at the chance of pushing multitouch tech now iPhone's grabbed attention (have a look at how fast people learn the interface at iPhone stands at the stands at O2 etc - a quick word from a neighbouring user, a play around - the interface gets rid of a lot of fear that timid/non-knowedgable first time users have. )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.