Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on a new Mac Studio that is likely to launch in the second half of 2024, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believes.

M3-Mac-Pro-and-Studio-Feature.jpg

Gurman mentioned the details in this weekend's edition of the "Power On" newsletter. He explained that the new Mac Studio is likely to be offered with the as-yet-unannounced fourth variant of the M3 chip. This will, like previous generations, double the components of the "Max" version, meaning that it will feature up to 32 CPU cores and 80 GPU cores.

Taiwanese research firm TrendForce believes that Apple will launch a new Mac Studio featuring the M3 Ultra chip at WWDC in June, just as it did with the M2 Max and M2 Ultra Mac Studio last year. Prior to the launch of these models in 2023, Gurman reported that Apple was already working on two follow-up machines.

Gurman also believes, contrary to suggestions earlier in the week, that Apple is likely to refresh the Mac Pro with this new high-end chip. He does not believe that Apple is likely to again abandon the machine after only one year.

He added that while upcoming devices such as the M3 MacBook Air could be popular if marketed properly, the Mac roadmap for 2024 is looking "otherwise muted," suggesting some skepticism about Apple's ability to turn the Mac's underperforming sales around.

Article Link: Apple Working on Next-Gen Mac Studio and Mac Pro

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple is working on a new Mac Studio that is likely to launch in the second half of 2024, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believes.
Isn't that stating the obvious?

Other obvious statements:

Apple is working on a new iPhone that is likely to launch in the second half of 2024.

Apple is working on a new MacBook Air.

Apple is working on a new iPad.

Apple is working on new AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max.

Apple is working on a new M-series processor.

Apple is working on a new A-series processor.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
I speculate we will finally see the quad die M processor. I’d also like to see something like hardware level DDR-based RAM disk to allow for expandable program memory.

That would be awesome, I bet starting pricing would be $9999 minimum though. But that’s fine, only the highest-end of Pros and mainly companies would need this type of machine.

I think they probably need to redesign the chassis though, it’s not designed for Apple Silicon.

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Why doesn't Apple make a dedicated PCIe Apple Silicon GPU? I mean they can use it for AI, graphics rendering, video editing... I mean thats why its a Pro computer.
The market is too small. Unlike NVIDIA/AMD, Apple can't sell them to gamers, and nobody is going to buy expensive Apple stuff for AI datacenters. All that's left is some tiny segment of professional creators who aren't satisfied with an M3 Ultra with max RAM. That's basically nobody.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The market is too small. Unlike NVIDIA/AMD, Apple can't sell them to gamers, and nobody is going to buy expensive Apple stuff for AI datacenters. All that's left is some tiny segment of professional creators who aren't satisfied with an M3 Ultra with max RAM. That's basically nobody.
A M3 Pro Mac mini priced right might do fairly well. It's this world of not updating all the models to the latest M3 SoC family that is hampering Apple sales. Why buy M2 models when you can wait for the update.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
BTW Tuesday Jan 9th is when CES starts so there is a reason that MacRumors is busy generating all these articles on a Sunday for once. :D

Last edited:

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
The Mac Pro needs a page one rewrite.

Either allow something better than the underwhelming M2 model, or scrap it.

Modularity please. And I want actual modularity, not some phony “let’s add storage” nonsense.
Apple must be able to sell enough of the Mac Pro as it is.

So, sadly, I don't think they feel the need to spend the r&d to create a brand new Mac Pro that's genuinely different and superior to Mac Studio.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
The Mac Pro needs a page one rewrite.

Either allow something better than the underwhelming M2 model, or scrap it.

Modularity please. And I want actual modularity, not some phony “let’s add storage” nonsense.
And why is it you want that? Why are you people like you demanding Apple make a product they have no intention of buying instead of actually understanding the market is too small.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I can’t imagine my M3 Max doubled. This thing is stupidly fast, the space black is so nice, it’s the best computer ever.

If Apple wants to turn around sales, they need to go after some PC markets, like gaming. They seem to be headed in that direction.

They should also make some devices that make sense for businesses to purchase in bulk. Not sure what form that would take—a cheaper MacBook? Better enterprise support? Idk.

Problem is, they make such good computers now, people don’t need to upgrade them often, so they need to enter more markets if they want to keep selling them. The alternative is to make crappy computers and sell them for less. That doesn’t make sense either. They’re behind in AI, and that’s going to hurt their ability to enter more business markets. A bright side is their fast hardware is good for running third party AI locally, which is more important to some businesses. And Apple can continue to focus on that with future chips, and that could provide an advantage in the long-term because of their custom hardware integration with their software.

Reactions: Hastings101

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Gurman also believes, contrary to suggestions earlier in the week, that Apple is likely to refresh the Mac Pro with this new high-end chip. He does not believe that Apple is likely to again abandon the machine after only one year.

Except that skipping a generation or two isn't "abandoning" it at all. The iPhone SE skipped three years, and wasn't "abandoned". Apple does this all the time.

He added that while upcoming devices such as the M3 MacBook Air could be popular if marketed properly, the Mac roadmap for 2024 is looking "otherwise muted,"

What does that even mean?

suggesting some skepticism about Apple's ability to turn the Mac's underperforming sales around.

Underperforming compared to what? Other than the COVID aberration, Mac sales are actually better than ever.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Why doesn't Apple make a dedicated PCIe Apple Silicon GPU? I mean they can use it for AI, graphics rendering, video editing... I mean thats why its a Pro computer.

So, a card that would only work with the Mac Pro, which is already $6,999 and up? That's quite niche. And then on top of that, making it a card throws away unified memory. You're increasing complexity and latency.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
If Apple wants to turn around sales, they need to go after some PC markets, like gaming. They seem to be headed in that direction.
Releasing M3 updates like a M3, not a M3 Pro for the 24" iMac as an example is limiting consumer interest. Its just not that big a update to attract consumers where the iMac cost a lot more then a Mac mini. Apple can't continue to operate like that. Same with M2 models still when M3 family Macs are out with better processors. Now we are waiting for the M3 Ultra to arrive for the Mac Studio and Mac Pro.

Last edited:

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Considering the several many years between the first M1 Macs dropping and now, I can't entertain the idea that Apple has been planning a Mac Pro overhaul but only now feel the time is right to drop it.

And why spend more on r&d to impress buyers if profit margins are high enough on the disappointment you're selling right now?

The next Apple Silicon Mac Studio inside an old Intel Mac Pro tower Mac Pro is probably just going to be a spec bump to M3 and nothing more.

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Upgradable RAM? If they can use SSD as secondary “RAM”, why no actual RAM?
Dedicated graphics? A one-card support for one ore two RTX 5090?
Come on, it’d cost more to develop actual features but at least they’d sell a few, instead of hoping someone really needs a PCI slot enough to waste a few thousand dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.