Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun testing a major redesign to the iCloud Mail experience on the web, bringing its webmail service more in line with recent design changes made in macOS Big Sur.

icloud-mail-beta-redesign.png

The new design, currently in beta, reported first by 9to5mac, features a cleaner overall design and feel than the current public experience of iCloud Mail for the web. The current, soon-to-be previous version features thin typography, lighter colors, and design elements from iOS 7. Additionally, the new design allows users to compose emails in a smaller window in the middle of the screen, compared to opening an entirely new window.

As the new design is in beta testing alongside iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, macOS Monterey, and tvOS 15, it will likely be made available for all iCloud web users later this fall. Users wanting to try the new iCloud Mail design can check out the beta website for iCloud.

Article Link: Apple Working on Redesigned iCloud Mail for Web

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wonder how many people use the web interface on a regular basis. With all the different devices available for use at any given time, I find that method of use quicker. The only time I access my iCloud online, is to checkbook make sure my contacts sync is accurate.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
I wonder how many people use the web interface on a regular basis. With all the different devices available for use at any given time, I find that method of use quicker. The only time I access my iCloud online, is to checkbook make sure my contacts sync is accurate.
I use it occasionally on my work PC. And my dad who have a PC uses it a lot

Reactions: amartinez1660

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
Those who use iCloud mail, how is spam filtering? Does it support delayed send (and undo send)? Does it support rules for processing incoming mail and automatically tagging/marking read/etc?

Any idea whether the iCloud mail custom domain support will allow multiple custom domains or just the one? Catch-all addresses?

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
That's not a redesign because there's no actual design in it. There are only boxes, fields and very ugly icons. Honestly, it shouldn't take Apple more than a week to do it. I hope the new version will be at least faster.

Reactions: Akzel

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
Those who use iCloud mail, how is spam filtering? Does it support delayed send (and undo send)? Does it support rules for processing incoming mail and automatically tagging/marking read/etc?

Any idea whether the iCloud mail custom domain support will allow multiple custom domains or just the one? Catch-all addresses?
1) No and no.
2) We have no information about that at this point

While iCloud mail is slow and clunky, it does have rules. I use the iCloud mail rules to filter many of my emails actually. Unfortunately they must be set in the iCloud mail web interface, but are applied to all mail coming in. It even filters mail coming into the Mail application on iPhone/iPad/Mac..

It's super clunky, but the iCloud mail rules work. I have several that send straight to trash, mark some things as read, and that send certain emails to certain folders.

• Wow
Reactions: amartinez1660

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
While iCloud mail is slow and clunky, it does have rules. I use the iCloud mail rules to filter many of my emails actually. Unfortunately they must be set in the iCloud mail web interface, but are applied to all mail coming in. It even filters mail coming into the Mail application on iPhone/iPad/Mac..

It's super clunky, but the iCloud mail rules work. I have several that send straight to trash, mark some things as read, and that send certain emails to certain folders.
My response was for send and unsend, which I have amended. I should have clarified my response better. Thanks for noting the rest.

Reactions: kylew1212

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
I am glad I don’t need to use the web interface on a regular basis. Otherwise, I would probably be continually irritated. Lol
I have to on Windows. Which I only use when I have too :).

I am not a Microsoft fan. I personally can't stand Windows/10. They have no ecosystem what so ever for consumers. They are constantly changing stuff for change sake, canceling stuff, changing the names of products (example - Live Communications server became Office Communications server, which became Lync, which became Skype for Business which is now Teams).

That said their cloud products, Azure, Office 365 etc are really good compared to others. The OneDrive client for the Mac is about to get an update and will now sync your desktop. I will stop using iCloud when this happens because OneDrive has versioning, and its easier to backup your OneDrive (synced locally > Time Machine) vs iCloud....as in is it all on my Mac?? and really getting backed up to Time Machine?

Danie10

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
Great news! Was very disappointed though to see the Reminders app in iCloud (even beta) still has no way to set/change date/time for reminders. It sort of cripples the use of Reminders.

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
My response was for send and unsend, which I have amended. I should have clarified my response better. Thanks for noting the rest.
Yeah sorry that's my bad, I edited my comment a couple of times there hehe. Thanks for the answers both of you!

I really really really want to just ditch Google entirely, but it's difficult when there are so few options for good productivity suites that support custom domains. Fingers crossed this is the start of a new era for Apples cloud services so that I can finally leave Google entirely.

In order to do that though I need to have multiple custom domains with catch-all support, a good spam filter, threaded conversations, rules, and preferably delayed send because I always forget something that it appears I can only remember once I have seemingly sent my email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.