Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Multiple Apple products are seeing supply constraints, including the new iPhone 12 models, Macs, iPads, and some Apple Watch models. Apple CEO Tim Cook today told investors that Apple is "working really, really hard" to remedy the supply issues.

iphone-12-vs-iphone-12-mini.jpg
If you look at iPhone, we're constrained today. Not a surprise at the front end of the ramp, and how long we'll be constrained is hard to predict. We haven't taken orders yet for iPhone 12 mini or Pro Max, so those are coming and we shall see. Right now we are supply constrained, and for avoidance of confusion, we're constrained on Mac and iPad and some Apple Watches.

A fair number of areas of focus right now and we're working really, really hard to remedy those as quickly as we can. At this point, I can't estimate when we'll be out of that.
Several of Apple's iPhone 12 and 12 Pro models sold out within a few hours of launch, and many new orders are now shipping out later in November. We can likely expect to see similar constraints for the upcoming iPhone 12 Pro Max and 12 mini, as these devices were held back due to rumored production issues that required Apple to wait to build up enough supply.

Given the situation with iPhone 12 and 12 Pro pre-orders, those planning to purchase a 12 mini or 12 Pro Max should plan to do so right when pre-orders go live on Friday, November 6 at 5:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

As for the Mac and iPad, there have been long shipping delays on some models throughout the last several months, and many Apple Watch models also sold out quickly after launch in September.

Article Link: Apple Working 'Really, Really Hard' to Remedy Supply Constraints on iPhones, Macs, iPads and Some Apple Watches

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
it's going to take a significant effort and it will be lasting longer than usual given the route the virus is taking ...

Not even that, but the fact that Apple constantly is having to re-open/close stores based on regional outbreaks is likely putting constraints on foot traffic if the customer can’t see the product. Obviously it’s for the better, but consumers are going to have to rely on purchasing the product on-line without seeing them first hand in stores for the holidays.

Reactions: Apple2007

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
As long as quality doesn’t suffer. I’m sitting on an 8 Plus, battery at 87% capacity, looking to move to the 12, but between the issues I’ve been reading up on (yellow displays, dropped calls with or without 5G among others) I’m fine with waiting a little longer. Also moving carriers (Cricket wireless to either Verizon or Tmo) and I’m still looking into it.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Haha,..this is what Apple do best, in creating fake demand by limiting supply. The idea has always been to limit manufacture & hold less stock, thereby always creating pent up demand. Thats what Steve loved about Tim.

Are you telling me that a billion dollar company, year after year after year, doesn't not know how to stock up???

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Not even that, but the fact that Apple constantly is having to re-open/close stores based on regional outbreaks is likely putting constraints on foot traffic if the customer can’t see the product. Obviously it’s for the better, but consumers are going to have to rely on purchasing the product on-line without seeing them first hand in stores for the holidays.
Unless you mean being able use a demo of the product this "can’t see the product" doesn't really make sense. There have been dozens of videos on Apple products on youtube as well as their events. Never mind that with some products (video games) people are perfectly willing to buy sight unseen (can you say "preorder", neighbor? :p )

Reactions: DEXTERITY
Oct 27, 2020
Haha,..this is what Apple do best, in creating fake demand by limiting supply. The idea has always been to limit manufacture & hold less stock, thereby always creating pent up demand. Thats what Steve loved about Tim.

Are you telling me that a billion dollar company, year after year after year, doesn't not know how to stock up???
Considering there is a PANdemic that no one could have seen coming I think they are doing pretty good.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Sounds like 12 Pro supply is very constrained, so I must have gotten lucky because I ordered one last Saturday 10/24 and was able to do next-day in-store pickup in my area without any issue.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Stuck waiting in the 3-4 week camp for my Apple Watch SE. It’s my first Apple Watch so if I’ve waited this long, I guess a few more weeks won’t kill me ?‍♂️

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
This is good advice regardless of the year or situation. If you are a day 1 buyer, you better be ready to hit that Apple Pay button as soon as the order page goes live. Else you might not get the device on day 1.

I will follow this manta when those highly anticipated AS Macs launch later this month or next month for sure. I want to play around with the 1st AS Macs as soon as they launch! I can't wait! I have been waiting for this moment for a good part of what? 3 years? Who knows when the 1st rumors of Apple launching ARM-powered laptops/desktops were leaking, but whenever that day was, I have been waiting since that time! I am sold on AS Macs, the press event will be the icing on the cake, and the device itself will be the cake itself!

Reactions: eelynek

warp9

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
"Sorry we can't show you the money faster."

Seriously though, what a problem to have. One of the smartest supply guys in the biz and I bet this is challenging for him. It's hard to predict demand but covid2020 seems to be making people spend mad cash.

VPRunner

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2019
Ordered my iPad Air 4 yesterday and it has a delivery of 24 November. Crazy. Finally upgrading from my IPad 2nd generation!

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Considering there is a PANdemic that no one could have seen coming I think they are doing pretty good.

PANdemic? This has nothing to do with the Pandemic,..where was the Pandemic last year and the year before, and year before that? Stock is ALWAYS either unavailable or sold out on release....ALWAYS! As I said, Apple always tries to produce just enough stock to sell, so their loyal customers ALWAYS have to wait. This is what creates the excitement and FOMO..

beermode

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2016
PANdemic? This has nothing to do with the Pandemic,..where was the Pandemic last year and the year before, and year before that? Stock is ALWAYS either unavailable or sold out on release....ALWAYS! As I said, Apple always tries to produce just enough stock to sell, so their loyal customers ALWAYS have to wait. This is what creates the excitement and FOMO..
There is supply chain issues. Of course, you can pretend there isn't.
Some of you would have blown an artery if you were mountain bikers. Orders are 6 months out. Brake pads are oos everywhere.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I don't mind tight supply, what I mind is that they don't rush manufacturing over quality control. When I finally receive my iPhones, I want it a working phone with a perfect display. I don't want green splotches, I don't want a dead battery, I don't want a scratched screen, I don't want wifi dropping signals.

Reactions: eelynek

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Yeh - .... Just ordered 27" iMac - 3-4 weeks delivery. New Zealand.
From a similar experience, I got an iMac 27” beginnings of August, it said 3+ weeks for delivery, got in about 5 days. Sent from Asia and all according to tracking so you might be lucky too. Great choice by the way, lots of “big bezels, can’t upgrade SSD” etc complaints, but for real, it’s a damn great comfortable one shot plug and play powerhouse machine.

On an article related note, damn, I kinda fear for what does that exactly mean: “we are working really hard”... could very well be putting pressure along the whole production pipeline levels. And having had the worst 4 weeks of my life work pressure wise, I wouldn’t wish it on anybody... get the phones a few days late, it will be fine ?

Reactions: kazmac and haddy

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
There is supply chain issues. Of course, you can pretend there isn't.
Some of you would have blown an artery if you were mountain bikers. Orders are 6 months out. Brake pads are oos everywhere.

? Yes, yes,..I've never heard of Apple having supply chain issues ?‍♂️?

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Well at least they staying pessimistic on the delivery dates. My 2020 iMac was supposed to be 3 weeks but arrived after 1. My 12 Pro was supposed to be 6th-16th November but arrived this morning (30th October). So things are moving through so far...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.