Apple Working to Put a Stop to iCloud Calendar Spam

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 30, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over the course of the last week, many iCloud users have been the target of spam that's delivered in the form of an unsolicited Calendar event invitation, and now Apple is working on a way to stop it.

In a statement given to iMore's Rene Ritchie, an Apple spokesperson said the company working to block spam invites.
    iCloud calendar spam isn't new, but there's been a serious uptick in calendar spam since last week. Because iCloud calendar invites are sent to an iCloud calendar automatically by default and there's no easy way to ignore them, there's no clear way to stop the spam.

[​IMG]
    Image via OS X Daily​

Declining, accepting, or choosing "Maybe" on an incoming iCloud invite lets an iCloud email address is valid, so until Apple can put a stop to the spam, there are two fixes. First, by logging in to iCloud via a web browser and accessing the Calendar settings (Click the cog, go to Preferences, then choose Advanced), you can choose to receive all event invitations as email. Emails can be more easily ignored and deleted.

Second, you can create a new Calendar, name it Spam, move the spam invitation to the Spam calendar, and then delete the Calendar entirely. This method does not inform spammers that an event has been declined and does not verify an iCloud account's validity. For more detailed instructions, make sure to check out our how to.

Both iOS users that use the default Calendar app and those who use third-party calendar apps like Fantastical are affected by the spam issue, which appears to be fairly widespread.

Article Link: Apple Working to Put a Stop to iCloud Calendar Spam

2. phenoplastic macrumors newbie

About time, I suffered this more than three weeks ago.

3. markosb macrumors 6502

markosb

Thats great news. I wonder how this was started.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Good news. The calendar spam is quickly expanding and affecting others across the board.

5. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

about time!! It's been beyond frustrating.. The fact that it emails them back "verifying" that it's a valid address is the worst part.

I have it set to not accept invitation directly to my calendar..

6. Mikey44 macrumors member

Mikey44

Maybe they will fix the iCloud mail spam issue at the same time... :rolleyes: Wishful thinking I know.

7. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Hey, you look like you need some Ray-Bans so I will add a calendar invite to remind you to pick them up. I have received 3 just in the last week. I took the advice to add a bogus calendar, add the invite to that, then delete the calendar. Point is to remove the invite without sending a reply.

8. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

Typo!

9. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I thought it was just me. Thankfully it'll be addressed - sort of.

10. Junipr macrumors regular

Junipr

11. jerry16, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016

jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

That iCloud.com option is lame; why shouldn't I be able to accept and decline events in my calendar app because spammers are taking advantage? Hard to call that a "fix".. more like a work around. Glad to hear Apple is working on something though; a report spam or delete with no response option would be ideal.

12. macfanjoe macrumors member

I don't really understand how to move a invitation to a new calendar before I accept the invitation? At least on a Mac?

13. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

Thank goodness. Ray Ban loves my calendar currently. Haha.

14. jyen macrumors regular

Hey, that's a great way to get out of that work meeting I don't want to go to. "What meeting invite? Sorry, I don't think I got it."

15. jscooper22 macrumors regular

jscooper22

My wife got this the other night and I was able to kill it with the move to calendar & delete calendar method. Didn't even realize it came through her icloud account. Then wondered why it hadn't happened sooner and more spammers don't do this.

16. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

this spam assumes calendaring notification works, guess that assumption worked out for them with some. Of late I get a few scenarios

My phone desyncs so calendar entries made on ipad don't update to it
    My ipad desyncs, doesn't get new phone entries.
    Or they both desync.

My other visible clue is my bookmarks vanish. Bookmark list for me extensive..it being empty jumps right off the screen sadly. All this started in iOS 10 so I guess to resolve this, install that.

Inb4 reboot and/or turn off icloud then turn on again fixes this. well versed in this, I do it at least once a week per device.

17. Sandybox macrumors regular

So, when only a few had problems, that's fine. Now it's news , oh we are so concerned and will fix it. Apology not accepted Apple and don't pretend you were not aware of this a long time ago. If you claim you didn't know-you are incompetent. If you claim you did - you were allowing customers to be spammed. Which answer do you prefer?

18. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

Funny, I got less spam with iTools and .Mac than with iCould. Nice system, Tim.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesn't seem like this really became an issue until fairly recently.

20. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

What does Tim have to do with spammers spamming, which happens to basically any service out there and has been around for decades at this point?

22. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Thanks for getting on this Apple! Tim must have received some spam over the weekend.

23. now i see it macrumors 65816

24. Canubis macrumors regular

Canubis

Why isn't it simply possible to delete an event invitation without sending a reply? This seems like a really bad design decision from the beginning! It's an invitation for spamming, wondering why it took the evil ones so long to discover this…

25. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

He is the captain of the ship, so he is responsible for its lousy filter. I get tons of things everyday that a simple filter could catch. Apple just isn't into high grade spam filtering...and it's because Tim is too busy saving the world from political correctness to see an issue with a core service that isn't a watchband.