Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple says it is working with Health Canada to bring the Apple Watch Series 4's all-new ECG functionality to the Canadian market, according to MobileSyrup's Patrick O'Rourke. No timeframe was specified.

apple-watch-ecg-canada.jpg

This likely means that Apple has submitted an application with Health Canada for clearance to sell the Apple Watch Series 4 with the ECG functionality enabled. Health Canada has similar requirements as the FDA in the United States for medical devices to be sold in the country.

In the meantime, Apple says the ECG functionality will be limited to the United States, where it has received clearance from the FDA. However, the ECG app for watchOS 5 won't be available until later this year.

Apple Watch Series 4 models include a new electrical sensor on the rear that's designed to take an electrocardiogram using Apple's ECG app, the built-in sensor, and the electrode built into the Digital Crown. This allows the Watch to display a single-channel ECG, similar to a Lead I ECG, according to the FDA.

To take an ECG reading from the Apple Watch, users will need to place a finger on the Digital Crown while wearing the watch. The reading is completed in 30 seconds, allowing users to determine whether their hearts are beating in a regular pattern or if there are signs of atrial fibrillation.

As a potentially life-saving feature, Apple surely wants the ECG functionality to be available in as many countries as possible, so it's likely the company is working with public health agencies in other countries too.

Via: iPhone in Canada

Article Link: Apple Working With Health Canada to Bring Apple Watch Series 4's ECG Functionality to Canadian Market

Reactions: OttawaGuy

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I'm afraid it will take ages before being approved in my country, but the feature is really cool I'd really like to give it a try

Reactions: ijbond

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
How does the EKG functionality is enabled or disabled? Is it tied to the Apple ID? In other words if the watch is activated with a US Apple ID does the EKG becomes enabled but if it is activated with a non US Apple ID it is disabled?

Reactions: whitedragon101

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
How does the EKG functionality is enabled or disabled? Is it tied to the Apple ID? In other words if the watch is activated with a US Apple ID does the EKG becomes enabled but if it is activated with a non US Apple ID it is disabled?
Nobody actually knows yet. Either that or it could well be baked in to watchOS 5.1 but will only be viewable if the region is US

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
My guess is that it will be tied to the Apple ID. That way a US citizen will be able to use it even if they happen to take a short trip to Canada, or to anywhere else in the world for that matter. Also, it makes no sense to geo-lock the watch based on the gps location as it may not work at indoors or during a flight for example.

We shall learn more about it as time goes on.

adamski23

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2017
Does the watch automatically know which wrist the watch is on or do you have to select it before performing the reading? Electrode position is vital in a proper readout. I'm also wondering how it will handle artifacts (i.e., non-cardiac electrical activity)?

While I understand apple's reasoning behind this (I think its cool also), in my honest opinion, there are significant downsides to having too much insight into one's physical health.

Reactions: bingeciren

Elian_Gonzalez

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2016
One wonders if doctors in the US are prepared for a potential deluge of readings from their patients trying out the ECG feature.

Reactions: Stargher

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Wonderful news! Glad Canada is going to approve this non-invasive ECG device quickly! Lives can be saved! Additionally, I am certain that it will be allowed as a health expense tax deduction now - particularly for those with pre-existing health conditions. That's a huge perk. Perhaps the wise health minister will be giving tax discounts to Apple Watch owners? Prevention, and encouraging healthy lifestyles is where it's at for Public Healthcare!

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
One wonders if doctors in the US are prepared for a potential deluge of readings from their patients trying out the ECG feature.

Not an issue I don't think.
[doublepost=1537453736][/doublepost]
Perfect toy for hypochondriacs

Indeed! Instead of my fat cousin complaining and telling me all the time about his non-existent heart condition, it will be verified that all he needs to do is get active and cut down on cheeseburgers!

Reactions: nnoble

chiccociolla

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2016
Hi guys! I have a little question
I am a very happy owner of an AW2, but I am so thrilled for this new one that I am thinking about the upgrade.
Problem is: I live in italy. I Understand that the ECG feature will be released gradually worldwide, but there is one aspect not totally clear to me:
The "limitation" will be totally Software, not even HW?
I mean, for the LTE watch apple decided to avoid selling at all in some countries the model with the right specs..
I read here and there phrases like "ECG will be available only in models shipped in US for now", and I find them a little scaring
Do you agreee with me that it would be very strange to differentiate even the production of products? (I mean: produce an ECG-sensor-free model of AW4 for some countries?)
bye!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.