Apple Working With Health Canada to Bring Apple Watch Series 4's ECG Functionality to Canadian Market

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2018.

1. JWD macrumors member

I'll pass on this release, see you next year Apple

2. BuddyTronic, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018

BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

Probably nobody can confirm that yet - unless maybe they have a beta software package or something.

My bet is that it will work in other countries if you do the workarounds to fake it, as if you are using the product in the USA - tell a few fibs - check a few checkboxes saying you are in the USA, it will have to "work" then.

There is only so much that can be done to prevent people from doing such a workaround procedure. I mean, what happens if an Authentic USA citizen goes on a holiday to Canada? Would we be expecting the ECG function to stop working in Canada? I don't think so right? so the workarounds will work until approval comes to other countries.

Maybe the "key" factor here is "who does the lawyer sue?" - that's all this is potentially about anyways. If you tell a few lies and check the boxes off, then the USA government FDA and Apple are "off the hook" when a lawyer wants to sue somebody for some ECG related calamities.

On the other side of it - when ECG is enabled in the USA, and NOT in Canada, and some fat guy has a heart attack in Canada, maybe his lawyer will be wishing the approval had come to Canada sooner than later too :)

It's a non-invasive device. They should put in a disclaimer checkbox "for entertainment purposes only". No much harm can be caused by a non-invasive device I don't think. Approvals should be quick everywhere.

3. JWD macrumors member

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

5. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six