Apple working with Nike on wearables

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rogifan, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

I think everyone wondered this after Nike disbanded their fuelband hardware team but now the Nike CEO has basically confirmed it.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...says-apple-nike-to-expand-into-wearables.html

2. Mstf macrumors newbie

We may see an apple watch "special" edition for Nike lovers.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think it's likely a temporary partnership until the :apple:Watch becomes more full-fledged in the future, i.e., it gains GPS, wireless charging (so it can track sleep), becomes iPhone-free, etc.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I think what we are more likely to see is sensors in shoes and clothing that connects to the aWatch and/or HealtKit.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Be interesting, esp the design.

As I was talking about how an Apple watch in the form of a band could have potential, but was mostly shot down in flames as this being a valid idea, esp on the health monitoring side.

Interesting to see what shape of device they come up with, esp now the band shape has been poo poo'd as the wrong design by people here now.

6. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I'd buy that. Just bought Brooks Ghost 7 which is great shoes but will definitely looks at NIKE next time if it has sensor on shoes that can measure steps and distance accurately on treadmill.

7. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Tim being on the board while also being such a powerful business partner looks like a major conflict of interest, but that's just me.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Let's hope it will be great.

The only problem I can see if the obvious one, that Apple will not let any Nike band/watch be better than the iWatch.

Personally I wish Apple would focus on just making one device and let Nike with a band focus on the fitness side.

We all know, you never get the best when you try and make a one thing does everything device due to compromises here and there.

Looking smart in a suit, fiddling with a stocks app, is not the same as cannoning thru rapids and scrambling up muddy rocks.

There is plenty of room in the market for devices that excel in their own areas.

I hope that's what they do.

Apple watch with a bit of fitness, but other device that's full on fitness, can take being knocked around, sweat, and underwater, then in the shower with you after.

9. firewood macrumors 604

One guess is that Nike cancelled their Fuelband development to prevent that conflict of interest. Having Cook on their board was more valuable to Nike. Now they'll only do cooperative non-conflicting product development.

10. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

"Our plan is to expand the whole digital frontier"

That may not mean that nike and apple are partnering on hardware, but rather working together on software innovation.

One big reason would be to make sure people keep using the health related aspects of the Apple Watch on a long term basis instead of becoming novelty. Nike's app attempted to gamify and socialize the fitness tracker. I would imagine that would be the focus of their relationship.