All iPads Apple would make so many people happy if...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Triangle Man, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Triangle Man macrumors member

They simply included a screen calibration section in settings so that we can create our own color profiles just like in Mac OS X.

Why haven't they done this yet?

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

it's apple, not surprised

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Because of the millions of people who buy iPads, it's a very, very, very small group that cares.

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Go to Apple's feedback page and suggest it. The more people that request it, the more likely it is to get added.

5. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

It would make people more happy if their devices had screens with a consistent tint/temperature across the whole display. Calibration would not fix half yellow/pink/blue/green screens.

6. MandyAW92 macrumors member

Because they won't do anything that is for a small section of the market, they are always looking for the widest appeal

7. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

I have been requesting this since ipad 3, it would save them some returns for sure.

Regardless of that, if ios is being used more for content creation it's going to be needed. At the very least white balance and contrast should be added to brightness, so simple to add those.

The wide differences in white balance and contrast on the Air is crazy.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the majority of people wouldn't care, and while I agree I'd like it. I've been pretty pleased with the iPads I've owned.

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Besides, Apple would be able to calibrate better from the assembly line.

You need something external to read the settings, like color measurements products from X-Rite etc. Something the average user would hardly have access to.

10. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

The people who complain the most are the people who would proactively utilize any calibration tool. It doesn't have to be fancy, to make a serious dent in the returns - IMHO.

Uneven lighting, and dramatic color contrast across the screen shouldn't make it out of QA to begin with. Yellow tinted screen complaints could be addressed pretty simply.

11. ScottW1 macrumors regular

True, except... It isn't always about "accuracy", it is often just personal preference. Many like a cooler, bluer appearance while others want a warmer, yellower cast, while others want accurate color production.

Most monitors include a "default" setting that is factory calibrated, along with other presets skewed towards specific color temperatures and/or a custom setting. I think that's the paradigm folks are looking for here, the same kind of basic color control seen on most computer monitors. Seems like it would help satisfy a lot of users, and also save a lot of money in returns/refurbs for Apple.

I doubt this is something I personally would use, but I can certainly see where a lot of people would use it and it seems like a reasonable control Apple to add.

12. klover macrumors 6502a

I don't believe that's the case.

The Xperia Z tablet has had a lot of issues related to yellow/warm displays and even with the abundance of Android color bias/gamma tools, it cannot be corrected.

If the panel has inherent color filter issues, you can make small but not satisfactory changes to color temperature.

I've tried using f.lux and other color temp adjusters on jailbroken iPads (1 and 3) that had uniform yellow tinting. Reducing green/blue bias and saturation made some change but it was still tinted after hours of tinkering.

13. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It depends on what the calibration tool does. Some simple options, as well as full control. I have no doubt that if you spend hours of tinkering to get it JUST right, you would not be a good candidate for having your problem mitigated.

But I'd imagine that a large %, who just happen to notice their iPad is a tad yellow, would be satisfied by a calibration tool - just not you. Which is fine, you're not going to solve everyone's issues.

14. Triangle Man thread starter macrumors member

The Mac has screen calibration built in. LCD screens vary in color. There's no way they're gonna get every single one perfect. That's why displays usually have built in color adjustments. Have you ever seen an LCD screen that doesn't let you adjust the color/temp?