Apple wwcd vs google l/O 2011..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tito Georgie, May 12, 2011.

1. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Apple could have the littlest announcement and everyone would be excited. But google is announcing all these new "cool" stuff or whatever and is just bla because google android market place ect is so laggy and dysfunctional that it doesn't bring any hype. I wonder if google would ever have a smooth experienced. Anyone else feels like this ?

Btw google music is the only really cool thing, if it don't lag..

2. mltaylor macrumors regular

I agree to some point BUT Google has gotten a lot of press for what they've announced and have in the works. I think they have some sweet stuff happening but I still like the iOS and Apple ecosystem.

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Galaxy S 2 is supposedly as lag-free as iOS devices. With that said, my 3GS has started to lag all the time, so you can't really say iPhones don't lag

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

FYI - your phone is 2 year old tech

5. boss.king, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Meaning? I can't expect it to run smoothly on the homescreen anymore? Thats ridiculous

6. mltaylor macrumors regular

Shouldn't run slow on the homescreen. Games and newer apps I could see but not on the homescreen. And yea 2 years is a good life span seeing as thats the contract term.

7. ctbear macrumors 6502a

hmmm...where do you get this information?

8. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Google are great engineers but they have absolutely no design skills.

Although after the update Google's web market is way better than what iTunes offers on the web, which is not much, basically do a google search for a specific app and then launch iTunes app.

Also Apple's presentation skills are way, way above Google's, they have a very strict presentation plan and they stay and explain each feature, why is it good, why would you want it instead of just saying "we added this, now moving on to...".

WWDC feels like a "show" many people who are not tech savvy still watch(either directly or on the news) it just to see Steve Jobs' talk. I/O on the other hand feels like a local tech expo.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I know it shouldn't, that's the problem, it does. The thing is they still sell the 3GS. I'm all for moving forward, but I'd like my phone to be usable for 2 years from purchase

10. mltaylor macrumors regular

I mean shouldn't as in most peoples aren't running slow

11. Tito Georgie thread starter macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Restore as new phone is the answer for you sir. It will run as smooth as a iPhone 4. (almost)

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

That Samsung Galaxy S II is looking like the 2011 Phone of the Year. This is what the Motorola Atrix could have been but failed to do.

One thing about Android is while it can be fragmented, it keeps itself cutting edge. Each Android OEM is not only competing with Apple, but each other. Android phones vs Android phones. They are forced to try to differentiate themselves from one another, that's why hardware specs is always stellar. What you can do, I can do better. With Apple, you are left with ONE phone per year and they can always make the anticipation higher just from the waiting. Then we all line up for one on launch day, open the box, and go on our happy ways. Wash, rinse, repeat. With Android, it is like the Wild, Wild West out there. A new sheriff is in town every few months.

Samsung GSII is getting rave reviews. Even the iPhone 5 and its 4 inch screen may not catch up to it. An extra core than iPhone 4's and 400Mhz faster if you consider 4 to be underclocked at 800. I remember last year, most people felt Android needed a 1.2GHz minimum dual-core and 1GB RAM with so much things going on in the background. Looks like SGSII is the pioneer for these next generation super Android phones. Maybe the most important Android phone since the Nexus One. That N1 wasn't popular, but it leapfrogged over iPhone early last year when it came to having 1GHz chips.

I felt Apple didn't get it completely right until iPhone 4. That took THREE YEARS! Android is hitting its best stride right now and doesn't turn 3 until October. And apps will likely surpass iOS within a year too.

Galaxy S II vs Thunderbolt, iPhone 4, and Focus (faster browser than my laptop!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_4vijEfQaQ

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Thanks, I'll give it a shot

14. Hal Jordan, May 12, 2011

Hal Jordan macrumors member

Wicked Video!!

Apple and Apple users always like to say it's not about the specs. I know, I was one of them. Well that video proves otherwise. Utterly Devestating.
    If Apple seriously thinks it can keep doing what it does, march to the beat of it's own drum, they will fall behind just like RIM. Apple likes to show very little respect to it's competition, and that's their biggest fault. Once you beleive your own hype, you're done. So when iPhone 5 comes out, SGS3 will be right around the corner. Make no mistake, Apple fears Android and Samsung. It seems Samsung is the one to hold the reigns to this Android charge. Samsung is in charge of everything they put in their phone, huge advantage. Apple can't say the same thing. Apple has to rely on the innovation of OEMs like Samsung before they can put in their next processor, flash chips, etc...Based on Apple's history of upgrading their devices, the iPhone 5 wont surpass the SGS2.

This is how Samsung innovates. It's what gives Apple the opportunity to even have an iPad/iPhon/idevice:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/12/samsungs-64gb-toggle-ddr-2-0-nand-flash-memory-with-400mbps-tra/

15. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Were only five months into this year and your already saying that SGS2 is the phone of the year LoL. Wasn't that the Thunderbolt a few weeks ago? And isn't that what the next major Android phone going to be called?

I don't even know what you mean when you say Apple didn't get it right until the iPhone 4 are you talking about the hardware or OS? And Andoid isn't on paces to surpass Apple in apps. Google just announced that they now have 200,000 apps in the Android Market, 30 months after it open. It took Apple 21 months to reach 200,000 apps.

I don't know if you know this or not but that iPhone in that video is a iPhone 4.... from last year. Of course it's going to be slower than the newer phones that are coming out with dual core processors and more ram. Why don't you wait until the iPhone 5 is out then we can compare these phones and I bet it will be a lot closer on the speed test. Same thing happen last year at this time with the newer Android phones came out and were put against the 3GS.

Why does Apple fear Android or Samsung? Apple about to pass Nokia to be the largest smart phone company. Apple makes 50% profit and revenue of all the mobile industry. How much money does Google make off Android? How much money is Samsung making off their smartphones? Last quarter Samsung sold 8 million less phones than Apple. How much money does Apple make off iPhone? I'll answer that over 12 billion dollars last quarter. This is a business and in business your goal is to make money and Apple is making more money than both Android and Samsung period but let me guess Android has a larger smartphone market share right? Because we all know market share is the end all.:rolleyes:

16. Pmoser macrumors member

Android has a larger market share way to spew ignorance

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

No

18. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

<insert faceplam here>

Exactly, people think marker share is the in all. Even though iOS as whole has a larger marker share. Android has a larger smartphone marker share over iOS.

19. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

The Thunderbolt screen looks awful compared the the Samsung. Actually the iPhone screen didnt look so hot next to it either.

Im sure the iPhone 5 will be a very good device but like ive said before, since they only put out 1 new phone per year, they will most definitely fall behind and really already are. iP5 will catch them up for a bit but i heard it isnt coming out til Sept so it may already be behind before it hits the streets.

20. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Apple is secretive and modest but delivers. Google is a blabbermouth and nothing comes to fruition.

21. Hal Jordan, May 12, 2011

Hal Jordan macrumors member

Yes I know that's the iPhone 4. Did you even read my post or just quote it. My point is that the difference between the iPhone 4 and the SGS2 seems very big. And Apple doesn't improve their phones in leaps and bounds from the previous phone. This is why I said it is highly likely that the iPhone 5 won't surpass the SGS2. I could easily be wrong, but we all know how Apple moves in small steps in terms of the next model. Apple die hards will always buy Apple even when it clearly becomes the inferior product, and that's fine, freedom of choice.

Do you honestly think the smartphone landscape hasn't changed in the last few years. You don't think the massive growing dominance of the Android OS is something for Apple to be concerned with. When it comes to third party hardware or software, developers are going to look at OS market share. Who is gonna give them the biggest market. Yeah its a big deal.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Apple is in no way modest. Their great design is one of the main things that draw people to their products.

23. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Your two post are completely different, but now I understand where you're coming from. IMO I don't see Apple changing up the look of the iPhone this year. I sure were going to see the A5 chip better cameras, more ram, and that's about it for the hardware.

Who's to say with those upgrades that the iPhone is an inferior product? That's a matter of opinion. Some might feel that the SGS2 is an inferior product. Some people enjoy reading on the iPhone 4, and it's retina display is great with it's 326ppi were the SGS2 has 218. Others enjoy watching video's or movies and that's were the SGS2 has th advantage.

You don't have to have the largest OS to get the developers, Right now iOS (smartphone wise) is in third or forth place in total market share behind Android, RIM and Symbian. Yet it has the largest amount of Apps by 150,000 plus, has the most developers, has the most downloads and has PAID out the most money to developers. If this tread continues to happen developers will keep developing for iOS first then everyone after that.

24. macnews macrumors 6502a

macnews

I can't believe this - does anyone remember oh, say 2003? Maybe 2004? Oh wait, how about 2006? All the years we kept hearing about how great new hardware came out that was going to beat the iPod. It was faster, better, etc., etc. yet the iPod is still on top - matter of fact is there an MP3 player out there besides a Zune and an iPod?

The phone shown certainly smoked the iPhone4, not doubt. It looks like a very fast smart phone but did you also notice one thing in the video - the "unique" cool feature added to just this phone? (And from what I can tell it is just on this phone but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will tell me) I'm talking about the two finger pull to your face to zoom function. I'm sitting here thinking as a developer, if I have a game how do I make sure that gets disabled for that phone?

There lies the just one problem with Android, and is just another reason why people seem to forget the lesson of the iPod. Google has not created a unified experience and though they are working on software fragmentation, device fragmentation is another issue. Before you trot out the iPhone 2/3G/3Gs/4 stuff, that happens new tech replaces old tech. I'm talking about device fragmentation like screen size, multi-touch capable v non-multi-touch capable, etc. all become apparent when you start developing for Android. Until Google gets a better control on this, I think Android has a bigger up hill battle than just hardware and it isn't just about the software. Remember, they said these same things about the iPod....

25. Hal Jordan macrumors member

I honestly cant believe I just read that. You should really do a little more research before saying something like that. Wow, just wow.