Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
an announcement already... does this mean there'll be no more for the day? groan... :D

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Macrumors said:
Apple announced that today it has now begun shipping the Xserve G5s which were announced in January.

The Xserve G5s were originally expected to ship in February, but were delayed for unclear reasons.

These newest machines from Apple utilize the new 90nm PowerPC 970FX (G5) processor from IBM.

This ABSOLUTELY :p , POSITIVELY :) , WITHOUT A DOUBT :eek: MUST MEAN that new products are being announced today!!!

... or not ... :D

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Here's a list of all the "official" press releases so far this month:
March 23
Apple Begins Shipping Xserve G5 to Customers

March 15
iTunes Music Store Downloads Top 50 Million Songs

March 1
Shake Continues Apple’s Oscar Winning Streak​

Pretty slim pickin's. Notice no software updates. Maybe Apple laid off most of their PR and marketing people.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I hope this means that the new PowerMacs (which are hopefully announced this month) will ship immediately, too. I have waited so long, I can hardly stand waiting some more weeks.

captain kirk

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2003
UK
Nice to see Apple continues to ship new products on time!!! you never know the powermacs they announce later today might be shipping by June :D

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
captain kirk said:
Nice to see Apple continues to ship new products on time!!! you never know the powermacs they announce later today might be shipping by June :D

Which basically means (using such logic), that Apple is announcing Dual 3Ghz machines in a few hours. ;)

rschapel

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2004
MattG said:
Nice! I hope we'll get one of these at work when we decide to put up a streaming server...

What streaming software are you looking at using with the Mac OS? (something other than quicktime?)

Great news on the shipping, maybe now apple can look into getting the next revision of PB's out the door! :p

--Randy

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
rschapel said:
Great news on the shipping, maybe now apple can look into getting the next revision of PB's out the door! :p

--Randy

Does Apple still revise Powerbooks? Been so long, I've forgotten. :eek:

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
jsw said:
Well, they sort of announced them last June... ;)

EXACTLY!! So they should OFFICALLY announce them today, and then "sort of" start shipping them before the end of 2004. :)

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
rschapel said:
What streaming software are you looking at using with the Mac OS? (something other than quicktime?)

--Randy
Nope -- Quicktime Streaming Server

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
numediaman said:
Here's a list of all the "official" press releases so far this month:
March 23
Apple Begins Shipping Xserve G5 to Customers

March 15
iTunes Music Store Downloads Top 50 Million Songs

March 1
Shake Continues Apple’s Oscar Winning Streak​

Pretty slim pickin's. Notice no software updates. Maybe Apple laid off most of their PR and marketing people.

What do you call Mac OS X 10.3.3?

I am betting on Power Mac updates coming out in a week.

-Nathaniel

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
MikeAtari said:
Power Book, what is this thing that you speak of? :D
A Power-ful Book?

It's the little folding thingy sitting next to my brand new IIci. :D

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Virginia Tech

When does V. Tech get theirs? It will be interesting to see what the new numbers are.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
jxyama said:
an announcement already... does this mean there'll be no more for the day? groan... :D
Unfortunately, I think you're probably right. Well, according to Arn's report, it was looking more like next Tuesday for Power Mac updates anyways. Maybe PowerBooks and iBooks the week after???

MadMan

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
"Shipping" is a relative term!

If you read the press release, the ONLY xServe G5's that are shipping NOW are the single CPU ones.

The Dual CPU version (of which I have one on order) won't start shipping until the end of April. My order now lists 4/29 as the expected ship date. This was changed on 3/10 (my original expected ship date).

I have no idea how this will effect any new PM's or PB's, but you need to remember that these are only 2.0 GHz chips.

I'm beginning to think that Apple just doesn't have the chips and is trying to get SOMETHING out the door.

Otherwise, why wouldn't they ship both versions at the same time?

Could be that IBM is having trouble ramping up.

What say you?

:cool:
MM

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Mr Maui said:
Does Apple still revise Powerbooks? Been so long, I've forgotten. :eek:

Hasn't it been a longer gap for the powermacs than the powerbooks? Weren't the powerbooks refreshed in july/august with the all AL lineup. The powermacs were announced in june, that's nearly 10 months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.