Apple, you have frayed my nerves once too many

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wrldwzrd89, Oct 25, 2010.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am very much not happy about Apple's Oct 20 announcements, except for the MacBook Air announcement :p Anyway, since I'm a Java developer, I feel doubly hurt by both Apple ceasing their own Java implementation and the Mac App Store not allowing Java apps. I'm also going to just skip Lion, as well as iLife '11... I'm currently debating with myself whether or not to leave the Mac OS behind and use Ubuntu Linux full-time. I cannot abandon the Mac right now, though, because of some things I cannot migrate (mumble grumble Parallels Desktop VM incompatibilities). Now, with that off my chest... anyone else in my situation? Feel similar?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm not a Java developer so that doesn't affect me but yeah, Lion and iLife '11 look fairly boring to me. Lion had some little new things but nothing revolutionary. At least yet.

If 10.6 is fine for you, why would you abandon OS X? iLife is optional and we don't know all about Lion either, just tiny bits of it. Maybe Apple is getting too consumerish so advanced users like you will be better off with Linux

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm not going to abandon OS X completely. I have to use it for creating Mac versions of my cross-platform applications, regardless of what language I'm writing them in. All I'd do is relegate Mac OS X to my secondary OS (and Windows tertiary) - which, to some extent, I've already done.

I do think Apple is catering too much to the typical computer consumer, and not enough to advanced users like me. 'Tis a shame.

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That's how they're increasing market share and sales.

And what's wrong with Apple stopping its own Java implementation? Presumably the onus is now on Sun to provide it for them. Surely they've proved they're a big enough platform to justify it so as to not be constantly lagging behind others' Java implementations and diverting resources to it?

5. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You do have a point there.

You're right, but... I am concerned about Apple's customizations, some of which I rely on in the Mac versions of my Java apps, no longer working in any replacement. I'll be happy if the replacement just changes the methods for doing these things (customizing the menu bar title, using the system-wide menu bar, etc.), but if they're completely removed I'll be kinda stuck.

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I understand the issue now. It's obviously part of Apple's push to encourage Mac app store development.

7. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Nothing, but what IS wrong(and I cannot stress this point enough) is that Apple hasn't even come out and said that Oracle will be porting their JVM over to the mac platform and obviously also nothing about what it will look like and what the differences between the Oracle and Apple JVM will be. Will it require X? Will it be in 64 bit? What about the Apple-specific extensions, will they be supported? These are all very important things to consider. My reputation with my customers is on the line and I have 0 idea about whether or not we should even consider investing any more in the Apple platform.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I used to be a HUGE Windows hater but now I have been thinking about doing the previously unthinkable, recommending that we migrate our applications over to Windows. If Steve cannot make even basic promises to us about his commitment to the Mac, then we cannot make the same promises to Steve.

I own 2 macs an iPad and an iPhone and this announcement really has me thinking about selling the lot and getting some Android stuff and building a Linux box.