Applecare + 3 years

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RICARDOVASCO, Apr 1, 2012.

1. RICARDOVASCO macrumors regular

Hi all. I just purchased a new MBP 17" in B&H today. I also bought the Applecare + 3 years because it was on sale ( 50%) and costed 122 usd.
    My question is : When do I need to activate it? I mean, if I bought the laptop and the Applecare today ( 04/01/12) I can activate the Applecare only 1 day before the MBP 1 year warranty expires?

Regards
    Ricardo

2. iforbes macrumors 6502

I doesn't matter when you activate it as long as you do so before the first year is up. The applecare is an additional 2 years plus the 1 year warranty included with purchase (for a total of 3 years).

If you activate now, you will also get phone support that usually ends after 90 days so that might be incentive to activate prior the the year being up.

3. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I would just activate it now, so you don't have to worry about it later. It would be very tragic if you accidentally forgot and tried doing it afterwards.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no disadvantge to do it now like the post above says its 2 additional years on the 1 you originally get for 3 years total from the purchase date

5. AppChat macrumors regular

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

B&H often has that Promo when you buy it with a Mac

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

AppleCare supercedes your original one year limited warranty and 90 day telephone support. This means instead of one year of warranty and 90 days of telephone support, you now have three years of warranty and telephone support.

The date your AppleCare expires is three years from the purchase date of your computer from an authorized Apple retailer (since B&H is an authorized retailer, the date on your invoice).

Therefore whenever you activate it in the first year of your limited warranty, the AppleCare termination date is the same.

8. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all! So the seller told me wrong. He said that I got 1 year warranty + 3 years from Apple care = 4 years. Thats why he said its better to wait until the 1 year expires and then activate + 3 years from Apple Care. Are you guys sure its only + 2 years?

It says :

Apple 3-Year AppleCare for 15" & 17" MacBook Pro

Anyway, are you guys sure if I activate the Apple care right now, I won't loose the first year of its warranty? I mean, I will have my MBP protected until 04/01/2015 ,don't matter if I activate that now or after 11 months?

Regards
    Ricardo

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

As mentioned, YES.. it is Three (3) Years Total.. so Just Do It!! :apple:

10. iforbes macrumors 6502

Correct! Activate now! :)

11. trek203 macrumors newbie

I dont think you need to activate it but I might be wrong... Please recheck your invoice from B&H.

I just bought a macbook pro also from B&H last week and purchased the applecare protection plan with it (3yr extended warranty). When you add the applecare in your purchase, it should say "automatically registered". Your invoice from B&H should say that your macbook pro is covered under the applecare extended warranty until 2015.

12. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Wirelessly posted

Go to the support section of apple.com and check the warranty status. If B&H has registered it you'll see a 2015 expiration date. If not, go ahead and register.

13. iforbes macrumors 6502

You might also want to contact Applecare and request that the start of your coverage is the date of purchase. I believe they default the start date to the manufacture date when purchasing from a store like B&H. Could be a difference of several + weeks...