AppleCare+ 30 Day Window

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yodayoda, Oct 7, 2011.

1. yodayoda macrumors regular

Just spoke to Apple, i know Verizon users had no option of ordering AppleCare+ through the site, so what they said to do is bring it in to any apple retail store within the first 30 days of your purchase and they will be happy to add applecare+ to your account. Anyone heard anything different?

2. rkahl macrumors 65816

Sounds about right since you have 14 days to return for a full refund and 30 days to exchange a defective unit for a brand new unit.

3. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I asked apple the same thing and was told to go to a retail store within 14 days of receiving it and to bring the phone with you.

4. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Think they would be pretty dumb not to add it for you. That would be losing money.

5. pasipple, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Note:

According to the Terms and Conditions for Applecare+...you can purchase Applecare+ any time within 12 months of the purchase of your device...

Edit: "Within 12 month Warranty Period"

6. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I believe you can add it anytime within the first year while under the standard warranty.

7. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I called Apple about 30 minutes ago and asked if they could add to my pre-order and he said no. He also said that if I wanted it, I had to go to an Apple retail store between the 12th and 14 BEFORE I get my phone to get AppleCare+... So apparently somebody at Apple is wrong.

8. pasipple, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  9. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Could you provide the source for this? I scanned the ToS real quick and couldn't find it. Not trying to say you are wrong though. I don't understand why Apple would say we had to buy it at the same time as the phone if this is the case.

10. -Ozzy- macrumors member

I think it's because the iPhone already comes with a 1 year warranty, thus they can allow you to go 12 months and THEN buy the apple care plan.

However, keep in mind the plan is valid from the day you bought the iphone. So there's no way around it, you're not getting that 3rd year even if you think you are.

11. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Did...

12. NoHo macrumors 6502

I hope you can purchase it within 30 days. AT&T didn't give me the option of purchasing it and I was in such a rush to get my order in that I didn't even think about it.

13. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

Ya know, people should click the link above citing an AppleCare + legal document stating you can get it any time within the first 12 months.

14. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

The person I spoke with said that the stores will have the retail boxes of applecare+ available, but they won't be available until the 14th. I don't think it really matters because knowing apple I'm sure they will let you purchase it within 14 days of receiving the phone for three reasons:
    1. It was their site that messed up the pre-orders for applecare+
    2. You can return for full refund within 14 days so it doesn't make any sense for them to deny it to you in the store as you could easily say "What stops me from just returning this phone today and buying one here?" - They don't want to get a lot of returned iphones.
    3. Apple has very good customer service and I cannot imagine them not honoring this given my experiences with them.

15. NoHo macrumors 6502

I know you can get AppleCare within the first 12 months, but I don't think you can get AppleCare+ within the first 12 months. It would make no sense because it also covers accidents, so while regular AppleCare covers non-accidents for a year and allows you to purchase an extended year before your initial warranty it up, I don't think AppleCare+ would since it also covers accidents. Someone could just purchase it when they have an accident and not purchase it if they don't have one.

16. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

The Terms and Condtions I posted above are for the Applecare+...

Believe it...within the 12 month warranty period....period....

17. nbuubu macrumors regular

Apple's website says Applecare+ MUST be purchased at the same time as the iPhone, and their reps say that those who bought it without have either 14 or 30 days from date of purchase depending upon who you talk to.

However, the Applecare+ terms of service state:

(x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty. Apple is not obligated to renew this Plan. If Apple does offer a renewal, it will determine the price and terms.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCarePlus.pdf

Personally, I'd err on the side of caution and get it now if you're thinking about it. I've found that when dealing with a company representative about a warrantee where there are conflicting terms, they tend to take the path that's not the most consumer-friendly.

18. rkahl macrumors 65816

The terms are definitely in your favor since it was not offered at time of sale.

19. kayawire macrumors newbie

This! (x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty.
    Apple is not obligated to renew this Plan. If Apple does offer a renewal, it will determine the price and
    terms.

Found on Page 5 (General Terms section) of the 8 page pdf file linked above.

Thanks Dwhite for forcing me to read through that :D

20. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Correct...

The Applecare+ webpage states must be purchased at time of iPhone (two places). And that is clearly the intent because you can not purchase Applecare+ from the Apple Store by itself.

Looks like Apple needs to correct its' Terms and Conditions. Legally the Terms and Condition would be the binding document.

21. Kingpierce34 macrumors member

Terms & Conditions won't technically be held accountable until the actual sale of the product. So I believe the T&C will be updated by the 14th to reflect that you NEED to purchase AppleCare+ upfront with a device.

A grace period for the first batch of launch devices does sound likely though, given the problems they are having with preorders and AppleCare+ online. But moving forward, it seems obvious you need to purchase such a service upfront and wont be able to get it anytime after.

Makes sense, any accidental insurance will always make you get it upfront, to protect their bottom line. They need to make sure every product covered under such a policy was covered at the start as a new, working conditioned phone. If someone came in 6 months later and wanted to get coverage for accidental coverage, Apple would then have to assess each phone to check the condition and see if it qualifies for it. It's the same principle as health insurance and pre-exisiting conditions here in America (though thats slowly changing).

The T&C do reflect that you can purchase it within 12 months, but theyve made it pretty clear that that will not be the case moving forward.

22. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Agreed...

23. jazzbo macrumors member

Just curious but was anyone able to purchase AppleCare+ using the Apple Store app? I looked for it this morning when preordering my 4S but couldn't find it.

I really hope they have some option where we can add this online / over the phone as it's quite a drive (2.5 hours to my nearest Apple Store), plus I'm going to imagine that the stores are going to be quite busy next Friday.

24. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

The way I look at it is I'm sure Apple knows you weren't able to get AppleCare+ if you pre-ordered so they will just let you buy it when you go into the store probably within the first 1 or 2 weeks. Not letting you buy it makes no sense because that's like saying, "No, I don't want your $100."

25. Kingpierce34 macrumors member

ugh that seems to be the case with a lot of people on these boards :(

They did botch up the AppleCare+ sales online a bit, and unfortunately customers like yourself that live far away kind of get shafted in the end. But there will be a compromise for launch devices, as stated before. It seems people are being told that people who get it at launch will have 30-day grace period to add AppleCare+, it sounds like. So you may just be able to add it sometime soon and have it shipped to your house and add it yourself (or hopefully over the phone). :)