Applecare about to expire, what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by esskay, Mar 25, 2014.

1. esskay macrumors 6502

AppleCare (the extended coverage) is about to expire on my 2011 MBP13.

Is there anything you guys would recommend that I do prior to expiration? e.g., Make a Genius Bar appointment and ask them to run a full diagnostic just in case? The apple store is conveniently located so that's not a problem.

Perhaps I should run a diagnostic (apple hardware test) myself too? Not sure if the Genius Bar would do anything beyond that anyway?

Thanks in advance

2. rapicell macrumors regular

Probably just bring it in and get it inspected and a cleaning as well since dust can really mess with the internals after awhile.

3. KimJonNumberUn macrumors regular

take the dam thing in the apple store jsut for a check up, cleaning to make sure its all good and enjoy the machine. you'll upgrade to a new laptop in a couple eyears anyway

4. Gman021 macrumors regular

Apple will clean your computer if you have applecare?

5. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Have you had any issues so far ?

I would just keep using it if not, there's no way to extend the cover anyway.

Take the back off, clean it out with a soft small dry paint brush and carry on !

You could run hardware test and / or Memtest etc just to be sure.

M.

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well you could run a few tests your self, like the apple hardware test, then check your hard drive for bad sectors or use an application which can pull out the smart data of your drive to tell you if it is failing or good. If you find no issues take it to apple for a complete diagnostics and cleaning they usually can tell which part may fail soon and replace it. Other then that i dont think it should fail anytime soon. I have a 13" late 2011 besides my retina. The13" mbp has never needed any repairs besides upgrading the ram to 8gb. Applecare will expire end of this year so i will go about getting it diagnosed by apple.

7. esskay thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll run an Apple Hardware Test tonight.

I made a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow. I think I'll remove my SSD and reinstall the original HD for the appointment. What do you guys think? Agree?

8. esskay thread starter macrumors 6502

Went to the Genius Bar. They did a quick AHT, then kept the machine to keep it and run an extensive Service Diagnostic test. They said it would take about 12 hours to run.