AppleCare advice....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blakely028, May 14, 2008.

1. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

Hi, just a random thought I had.

When you buy AppleCare, and how it lasts for 3 years on Macs, does it start from the day you buy the AppleCare or does it start from the purchase/manufacturing date of the Mac?

:)

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Gotta be the manufacturing date, otherwise you could go buy applecare for a g3 ibook and slap it on.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Actually, AppleCare is 2 years.
    1 year warranty comes automatically.

But it starts at a perceived purchase date.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

PURCHASE date - I've got a MacBook manufactured June 2006 and purchased September 2007. Manufacturer's warranty runs out September 2008 and I could buy Applecare then to extend for a further 24 months from the purchase date.

5. Blakely028 thread starter macrumors regular

Blakely028

Yeah, I see.

How do you find out when the Mac was manufactured on the computer? :confused:

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Easiest way to check your purchase date (since that's what matters, not manufacture date) is to grab your serial number and plug it into this page: Apple Support. It'll give you the date your warranty runs out, your original purchase date is either one or three years prior, depending on if you purchased AppleCare already.

jW

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Remember, APP extends both the warranty and free phone support to a total of three years from the hardware's purchase, and includes most connected Apple accessories. Free phone support runs out otherwise 90 days from date of purchase. There is absolutely NO advantage in waiting until the "last minute", as many posters have discovered to their chagrin. Miss it by even one day, and Apple is under no obligation to activate or honor APP.

Find it through another reseller for a bit of a discount, and activate soonest.

Just as a note, this is as it applies to the US only. You need to check the APP info page at Apple.com for your country, as conditions may be different (and usually somewhat better than US coverage).

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

About this mac>more info then serial number is almost at the bottom

something like 4H703xxxxxxxxx

4H is the factory
    7 = 2007
    03 = week number (so 3rd week of January 2007)

Easy

9. TubbyCow macrumors member

Accurate

I tried the web site provide and it says that my one year warranty runs out september 06, 2008. I brought my SR MBP the day it came out in June of 2007 and received it a few days later. Why does it say september?