Applecare after purchase: Cinema Display and unibody MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Commonmind, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Commonmind macrumors member

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, and although I used the search function, I was hard-pressed to find any relevant threads. I recently purchased the 2.53 MacBook Pro with the 24" Cinema Display. Unfortunately during the process of purchasing a good 4k worth of hardware (MBP, Display, bag, external HDD, cleaning kit, other odds and ends), I overlooked adding the Applecare warranty to the cart, and was wondering if Apple will allow me to add the Applecare at a later date, covering both the monitor and the MBP?

I ask because I have this pressing feeling they only cover both if the Applecare warranty is done at the time of purchase, and as I'm currently staying in an establishment that blocks live chat, I cannot ask an Apple customer service rep directly.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

You have 1 year from your purchase date to buy Applecare. :)

I'm not too sure about covering both products, since I believe you are correct that if you want them to cover both under one Applecare warranty, it must be all purchased at the same time. But who knows, give them a call and see if they can add it in.

3. Commonmind thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply Deus. I will give them a call when it's convenient. I feel like an idiot for forgetting to add it to my cart :(

4. Commonmind thread starter macrumors member

Problem solved: I contacted Apple and added the warranty with little trouble. Thanks.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Awesome, that's good to hear. Now that I think about it more, I believe the MBP and the ACD have to be purchased at the same time, but not necessarily the Applecare. Either way, that's good that it wasn't too hard to add it on.

6. Commonmind thread starter macrumors member

That was the case exactly. And thanks again for the help.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

I think Apple is actually pretty flexible with the Apple Care terms. I bought a Mac Pro from an Authorized Apple reseller, and a Cinema display display from the online refurb store about month later. As I approached my year anniversary to buy Apple Care, they called me and said that a single Apple Care would cover both, because they were bought with 30 days of each other. The fact they were bought from different places didn't matter - it was considered a single system. This was after I had had a part replaced (the power brick) on the display within the first 30 days.

I like Apple Care.... they went the extra mile for me...