Applecare = AMAZING

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harry454, Jul 6, 2009.

1. harry454 macrumors 6502

So I had another issue with my iMac's superdrive again with scratching discs, its about the 3/4th time this has happen within the year. So today I called up applecare and ask to speak to a customer relations rep and she was like thats odd having that in one year so she was like okay I will issue you a replacement with a new 24 inch entry iMac. I was like okay sounds good, but fact is I was planing on selling me current mac anyways in order to get a Unibody Macbook Pro. So out of curiosity I asked if she could replace it with a Unibody Macbook Pro instead for the hell of it. She was like sorry no can't happen as they are in different groups, ie. desktop, notebook. So we go ahead with iMac replacement and she asks for my credit card info in order to send out the replacement. I said hold on a sec while I go get my card. It turns out when I came back on the phone she said she would go ask her supervisor if I could get the Macbook Pro instead. So she comes back about 7 minutes later and was like okay my supervisor said I could send you the Unibody Macbook Pro. Then she goes and tells me the specs and its the higher end 13 inch one with a 320 GB HD. I was so happyyy not only did I get a Macbook Pro, but the higher end 13 inch one! She also said she would refund me the money I spent on my Applecare plan since its still in its first year so they are also refunding that so I can put the towards the Applecare for the Macbook as she couldn't just transfer them! :D I love Apple's customer support! The Macbook Pro should be here within a few days.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

AppleCare = Necessary
    Don't leave home without it, not because Macs fail more than other computers, but because all computers fail at some point, and just a single repair can make up for the cost.

3. harry454 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

congrats, i dont know why people still buying desktop :confused: , laptop are amazing :D

6. Xavier macrumors 68020

I had both the motherboard and the battery on my Macbook Pro fail within 1 month of each other.

Luckily, I had AppleCare and both were fixed for free. If I didn't have AppleCare, I might as well have bought a new computer.

7. harry454 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah I had bought my desktop last year because I was in highschool and didnt have the need of a notebook but now moving on to uni I do need one :D

8. cababah macrumors 68000

You were still within the 1 year warranty window so they would have done it for free anyway, right?

9. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Very nice!

Applecare is a MUST! I can't say this enough.

10. mls64 macrumors member

Unfortunately it is, for the notebooks in particular. I had a logic board in my daughter's Macbook (white C2D) fail, it was within the original warranty and replaced no problem, but if it will fail in the first year, it certainly is likely in the first 3 yrs. One repair like that and it pays for the AppleCare on all three of my Apple notebooks..
    Never had any problems with my Mac Mini or my G5, though, they're still kicking along.

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I like Applecare, but feel it is overpriced. I have decided to roll the dice and
    go without it on my latest MB.

12. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

13. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

Of course it's overpriced. Which is why it's stupid to buy Applecare directly from Apple when you can get it for ~$150 from a trustworthy eBay reseller.

14. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

I agree, Applecare is well worth it. I had a problem with my 15" (28 days old) bought from Amazon.com. Took into genius bar, defective graphics card.

I asked if I could pay the difference and step up to a 17". They said sure. I paid the difference and walked out with the machine I have now.

That's how you build customer loyalty.

15. MBP09 macrumors member

I'm planning to get Applecare but thinking of purchasing it towards the end of the year from the day i bought it. Did a lot of you guys did that?

16. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Apple customer service. I don't know about Apple care, but all I've been trying to do is arrange for an exchange with my new MBP 17.

I just got it last Monday, and they have been giving me the run-around for 1 week now. I just spent 1 hour 30 minutes on the phone (transferred through 5 different departments, placed on hold most of the time; hung up on twice).

I don't understand what is so difficult about an exchange.

17. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

wordd. applecare is the best. i started off with a 2.2 ghz mbp santa rosa. Then my a few repairs and then my superdrive broke. i got the late 2008 unibody mbp. it was a 2.4ghz with a 250gb hard drive! i was so thrilled! This past june i had a few problems with my superdrive and logic board and i scored myself another replacement. I got the 2.66 320gb mbp with the sd card slot. The machine is great except now when i place it on an even surface, i can tell the casing is uneven. The corners are off so my mbp tilts. It's annoying im thinking about going back to the apple store to get the casing fixed. I only bought applecare once and got a refund for the prorated value. I am currently under the 1 year warranty and plan to buy applecare towards the end of 1 year.

18. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Huh?

You consider that a "gain"?

Your previous iMac was probably just as powerful, more with the GPU. That said, isn't this a downgrade? I mean if you want the mobility - great. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone that way.

Congrats, I guess.

19. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

That is what I will be doing. But don't forget!

20. mls64 macrumors member

That's the way to do it. I schedule it in iCal.

21. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I don't get this thread. Your macs are falling apart and you're all singing praises to Apple. I've never seen people so happy to have something break and then merrily get it fixed for an extra fee.

22. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

23. Simon 5000 macrumors member

That isn't the case. In the rare occurrence that something does happen to the Mac, they not only replace it, but give you a newer product that is much better then what you purchased 2 years ago, for no extra charge.

That's whats going on, so take your trolling elsewhere.

24. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Easy fanboy. I'm just stating an observation. There are plenty of threads stating dissatisfaction with Apple customer care as well. (And not everyone gets a shiny new macbook).

25. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Most laptop these days have 1 year warranty. So you are just paying for 2 more year of insurance just in case.