AppleCare and Education Store

Discussion in 'iMac' started by g33, Oct 14, 2013.

1. g33 macrumors 6502

Recently I have ordered two iMacs from the Apple Store for Education - on the phone.

First one I cancelled after reading posts on here (ordered the base model) and then made a new order for the 3.4ghz model that comes with a better GPU as standard.

After categorically asking whether it would include hardware warranty for 3 years, on both occasions they said yes but if you require a further 2 years telephone support there would be an extra cost - to which i declined.

So the iMac is being delivered in a few days, I have emailed my representative (no reply yet) and seeing what went wrong.

Ultimately do I need to pay for 3 years hardware warranty or not? I need to be more clear about this than he does I guess. I presume that if its inclusive of an Education order can he add it to the machine 'post-sale'?

2. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

We had this discussion here a couple of weeks ago and it all depends on the country you buy your Mac in.

Based on your profile, I do assume you're still in the UK. Here you should automatically get 3 year extended, pick-up warranty. When I was placing my order online, I didn't even have chance to put it in the basket. I'm wondering though if there's anything else I need to do at the moment or not.

In the US, I don't think guys get benefits as we do in the UK, at least someone has mentioned that in the thread.

3. g33, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

please can you check in the apple warranty status checker please?

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

I know from previous orders it enrolls you automatically but on these last two orders it doesnt even appear on the invoice. I cross checked the serial number of the machine on the invoice and theres only a standard year of warranty applied to it.

4. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

I did check it and at the moment it says 1 year - estimated as it should be. I do believe HE Agreement warranty is added later on manually and not automatically through Apple in a couple of weeks time. As I checked the website again and the repairs coverage is for 3 years.

5. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you checked your serial number now and it says 1 year? When I bought my Macbook Pro it showed it straight away...

I also normally get two packages sent to me. One being the product and one other item being the AppleCare agreement - therefore two items in the shipment tracking.

Added manually by whom?:confused:

6. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

That's correct. I do believe HE Agreement discount is added after now manually by Apple staff.

I'm not sure you would get AppleCare by post anymore as it can be validated online in this case using Apple's code, thus no need for shipment.

You can check the discussion on Apple Forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4144791?start=15&tstart=0 where they do discuss the same issue. After calling AppleCare, OP has been told that it does update automatically to three years.

I think that's the standard practice at the moment with HE warranty.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

When I bought my 2012 Mini a year ago (using the Education phone line), AppleCare wasn't shown on the invoice, but it turned up a few days later in the post. I queried it, and it was free to all Edu purchases.

8. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. uniq macrumors member

It can take up to 3 months for it to be amended. Patience is the key.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Sorry to jump into the thread .....

Back in 2011 I bought a cMBP from someone who purchased it with their education discount (they were a teacher). It came with a 3 year AppleCare warranty.

As this was the "standard" warranty for an education purchase, does it mean I can extend it via an AppleCare pack just before the 3 years is up (as I could with a "normal" 1 year warranty)?

11. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Just to add to this -

I was looking to buy a new MBA last year, and was really annoyed that I couldn't get a fully maxed out version at my local store, and unlike the USA, pickup at store is unavailable. Home delivery is frustrating, as I almost always have to venture to some way-out depot to collect.

Anyhow, I called Apple, and they apologised that UPS was the only option, but then started to ask how they could improve the situation. They asked if I was a HE customer, and I explained that I wasn't, but I do supervise medical students in my job, and they said that it was good enough. So, I managed to get a decent discount and a three year warranty without lying or even trying. Surprised at my luck, I asked for confirmation of the warranty, and a few weeks later a letter arrived detailing the extra cover. I don't see an reason why you couldn't ask for a letter either.

David