AppleCare and installing 3rd party RAM ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgpg89, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I'm waiting for the new MBP's to buy one and I'm definitely getting 3 years of AppleCare along with my purchase, because of all the problems I heard with first batch machines of a new generation...

So ... what about this situation:
    I get the AppleCare but buy some RAM somewhere else and install it myself.
    Will the new amount of RAM be covered by applecare?
    Will the machine as a whole still be covered by the applecare?

Thanks in advance.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

just take out the ram if you have to send it in though, you might not get it back

3. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Upgrading your RAM will not void your warranty. I just sent my MBP in because it wouldn't sleep and the genius specifically asked me if I had upgraded the RAM so that way he could make a note on my account/repair form so it would be returned with the full 4GB. He mentioned this to me as if it was common practice.

~E

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

AppleCare does not cover third party RAM; the rest of the machine will covered just not the RAM; if you have to do a repair, you just put the original RAM back in.

I think you misinterpreted the question from the Genius; he meant did you get Apple upgraded RAM, because if you told him it was third party RAM, he would have told you to remove it; Apple liability issues require you to remove you RAM.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1) Don't ever buy RAM upgrades from Apple. You can get a lotta hookers & weed for the extra money they charge. :)
    2) The memory you buy from someone else isn't covered (I have a feeling you knew this), but the machine still will be. That and I think HDD replacement don't void the warranty. I know RAM doesn't because Apple has a page showing you how to replace the memory (and it's so darn easy).

6. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I definitely did not mistake him. He specifically said it was so that my MBP would be returned to me with the full 4GB. I specifically told him that I purchased the RAM third party. Either the genius was wrong or you are mistaken. Either way it was serviced fine and returned with all 4GB. There is nothing to fear and no reason to switch back to the original 2GB before service.