Applecare and Insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sheppy1, Dec 13, 2014.

1. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Hi All,

I'm looking to get Applecare+ for my iPhone 6 but already have the phone insured under a good phone insurance policy. Would I be better just buying standard AppleCare (Can get it for £28) or is there some benefit to having AppleCare+ other than the fact Apple will replace it for me in store?

Thanks

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Why even get AppleCare if you already have a 3rd party insurance that you plan to keep? Either go all in with applecare+ or use the other insurance, which I assume covers accidental damage.

I'm a fan of AC+ b.c it is a flat fee and a flat deductible. Most other insurance charges you month to month and has a very high deductible.

3. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

standard applecare only extends the warranty to 2 years but you still pay full price replacement costs. the applecare plus is 2 years and 2 replacements for like 70 or something like that. ususually replacements are 269 or around there if no applecare

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I wouldn't do both of them.

5. sheppy1, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Applecare and Insurance

The reason I have insurance is because I can cover mine and my partners iPhones for £120 a year and the excess isn't more than £60. How long does AppleCare plus last for, is it two years?

Also the insurance only covers the phone when it's completely dead from damage (excludes hardware failure), I like AppleCare for the fact that if it stops working due to a hardware fault then apple will replace it or fix it..

6. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

applecare+ covers defects hardware issues (that aren't your fault) for 2 years, you also get 2 accidents (shattered screen, ran over, water damage) within those 2 years, but there is a deductible. it does not cover lost or stolen. depending on where you live apple should give the exact deductible pricing on your countries apple site.

7. sheppy1, Dec 13, 2014

sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Applecare and Insurance

My insurance covers the same thing for a smaller one off payment per incident. As I say though it doesn't cover any manufacturer issues such as the device not turning on, speakers failing etc. I assume the standard AppleCare does cover this?

So I think my question now might be as above..if my phone does fail after a year and I have standard AppleCare, would they replace/fix it for free? So if they power button failed or something would that be covered by AppleCare?

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

yes

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

This is the reason I don't bother with Applecare. $170 for a replacement versus $270 without Applecare, although granted you can look at it as $240 for 2 replacements versus $540. I'm willing to risk the $100 though as I'm pretty careful with my phones and also I rarely keep them over a year anyway.

10. rigormortis, Dec 13, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

you want applecare because of the telephone support.

i like square trade. you can get 3 years for $120, and square trade covers full immersion in waker, where applecare does not. applecare is limited to 2 incidents. square trade has 4

square trade charges a $75 deductible.

only iPhones on square trade have a deductible. if you get square trade for an iPad or another item , then there is no deductible

applecare still charges deductibles for lpads

the one bad thing about square trade for things other then iPhones is their coverage limit.

if you have a computer that is $2000, they will not spend more then $2000 over the warranty period in repairs. each covered repair goes against this limit.. if insufficient funds are available for a repair, you are given your $2000 back, or whatever is left

with applecare if a repair is not caused by accidental dmaage after 12 months there is no deductible. but with square trade the same repair would be $75

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

He meant $170 b.c $99 up front and $70 ($79 I think) deductible.

iPad are still $50 deductibles I think. Out of warranty repairs for iPads are $300+ though.

I should know the deductibles b.c I have AC+ on both my iPad and iPhone.

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Personally I believe all those are a waste of money.
    Pay when you really need to pay.
    Save that money, buy Apple Stocks instead.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That whole 1 share....

I use my phone naked and it gives me piece of mind. $99 is easily worth it to know it can be replaced for $50-$70

14. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

before the 6 came out it was 69 for replacements, now its 79. so if it happens one time you're out 179 with taxes. but if you don't your probably out 279plus tax. and then if it happens again another 79plus tax. instead of another 279. its worth it in the long run.

the only time the providers is worth if is it they cover lost or stolen

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Is standard Apple Care still available in the UK? I don't believe it is available in the US anymore. I thought it was AC+ or nothing.

I would look at what your deductible with phone insurance costs. Is it the kind that goes down after a time? If so, you are probably better off skipping AC all together. The device should be under manufacturer's warranty for the first year (or is it two in the UK?) After that, if you have a shrinking deductible, it may make more sense to just activate that, should your phone have a fault.

I don't see any scenarios where dual coverage makes much sense, personally.

16. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

It's not still available but I can buy it from eBay :). And no, my insurance has a £65 excess which never changes. The AppleCare coverage would just be to get that extended warranty for an extra year :)

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Makes sense. I see apple care for about 50 pounds. If that were me and i knew I was keeping insurance in the phone I would just keep it with that. The extra fifteen pounds in the off chance the phone breaks between the 12 and 24 month mark seems like a reasonable risk. I've had one home button start to go bad with all the iPhone's ive ever owned (we have owned a lot!) and it wasn't bad enough that we even really thought about getting it replaced.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I've thought about getting Apple care plus but ultimately decided to get insurance from my carrier. It covers me for loss, theft, accidental damage and manufacturing defects that occur outside of the warranty period. The excess is £60 which is a lot less than it has been in previous years. It's more expensive but it covers me for a lot more.

19. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I don't buy the Apple care for my iPhones because I don't keep them for long time. every new iPhone that comes out I buy. and sell the old one.