AppleCare and iPhone Upgrade program q's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vtboyarc, Nov 20, 2015.

1. vtboyarc macrumors regular

vtboyarc

Hi all! I've done some Googling on this and couldn't seem to find anything.
    So, I got an iPhone 6s Plus via Apples iPhone Upgrade Program. It comes with AppleCare. If you read the fine print, it says that in order to trade in your iPhone and upgrade to the next phone, your current iPhone must have AppleCare current on it. So, my question is this: what if I need to use one of the 2 AppleCare instances, ie I break the screen, bring it in, pay the $60 or whatever...will having just one of the 2 available AppleCare uses left on it, allow me to be able to upgrade? What if I need to use both, would I be able to buy AppleCare on my own for it, thus keeping the iPhone covered? Just not sure how this all works.

Lastly, on Verizon Edge, back when I had the 5s, I used AppleCare once because I shattered the front of the phone. Later when I sent my phone in to Verizon, they charged me the retail price remaining on the phone, because they said I failed to return the original phone to them...like, what!?
    So will that be the case with the Apple Upgrade plan? Just some concerns I have about it, because, well, I'm looking forward to being able to upgrade every year, and through Apple! Thanks in advance for the help from anyone who knows the answer to these questions!

2. vtboyarc thread starter macrumors regular

vtboyarc

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Well, nobody's had to deal with returning their phone yet under the Upgrade program, so any answers you get will be best guesses. Which may be why you're not getting many responses.

First off, AC+ is more than just the replacements. It's also the extended warranty. So as long as you still have AC+ in place (regardless of having exchanges left), I'd say you're still good. If you cancel the AC+ to get a refund, then not so much.

Second, with regards to the "not the original phone"... I suspect Apple won't care as much, so long as you return a phone with a trail back to your original phone. So long as you deal with them throughout your ownership, you should be good to go. If, however, you decide to have a broken screen replaced because it was cheaper than using an AC+ replacement, all bets are off.

Other than that, call Apple. They're the ones that can give you real (i.e. not made up) answers.

C

4. vtboyarc thread starter macrumors regular

vtboyarc

Awesome, makes sense, good points! Duly noted...I'll call Apple at some point too, and report back here when I do that

5. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Good plan. I'd trust Apple a whole lot more than any other vendor to do the right thing when it comes to an Upgrade program like this, in general.

C