Applecare and Keyboards..?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kodachrome, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Kodachrome macrumors member

Okay so I've never had to use my AppleCare, and I've never brought a product to the Genius Bar at the brick and mortar stores. But I recently got a used apple keyboard, model #A1048 (not the current version) from an outside source. However, one of the keys is messed up. Whenever I press the "R" key, the "T" key also registers. The keyboard is pretty clean and not gummy. Can I just bring it to a genius bar and have them take a look at it? Keep in mind I don't have applecare for this keyboard.

2. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

Check your language settings first, you may have accidentally triggered the Dvorak keyboard layout. This used to happen all the time at my school's labs, people would accidentally hit the keyboard shortcut and not be able to type the way they're used to.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, the keyboard is covered so long as your computer is also covered.

TEG

4. Kodachrome thread starter macrumors member

Its weird. I went through all the keys and here's what happened:

-the 5 key registers a 5 and a 6 at the same time. ie: if I were to press the 5 key repeatedly, it would come out as 56565656565656.

-the 6 key does the same thing. it still comes out as 565656565656.

-the '-_' key does the same thing. 565656565656.

-the T key comes out as tytytytytyty when pressed repeatedly.

-the Y key does the same thing (tytytytytyty).

-the '{[' key comes out as tytytytytytyty.

-the G key comes out as ghghghghghghgh.
    -the H key does the same thing (ghghghghgh).

-the (' ") key comes out as ghghghghghghgh

-The B key comes out as bnbnbnbnbnbn.
    -The N key does the same thing (bnbnnbbnbn)

-the space bar doesnt work at all.

The keyboard is pretty clean, so I think what happened was that somebody spilled liquid on it. Thats the only thing I can think of, because the key's affected are grouped together for the most part. But its still kind of weird how some of them register letters nowhere near the original key.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Maybe he took the keys off the keyboard to clean it and misplaced them when putting the keys back on?

6. Kodachrome thread starter macrumors member

Nah, like all of the keys are in the right place, its just that some of them don't register the correct keystroke.

Does anybody know how much it would cost to repair it if the applecare has expired? Is it worth it?

7. birdieey macrumors newbie

I can't imagine it would be much less then getting a new one, or even worth the time. The new aluminum keyboards are like 40 bucks so you might be able to find one of the old ones for around 20. Or you can definitely get one cheap on ebay or craigslist.

8. Kodachrome thread starter macrumors member

9. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

I think that only holds if you received a keyboard with the Mac you bought Apple Care with, such as an iMac. If a Mini user bought a second hand keyboard, I don't think Apple Care would cover the defunct keyboard.