Applecare and light bleed issues...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivinho, Dec 7, 2008.

1. ivinho macrumors member

I bought a aluminum MBP 15.4 2.53ghz from Amazon. I have the 84 screen and I'm noticing some light bleed which is annoying and the contrast isn't that great. There are also slight bumps near the speakers which i can ignore.
    I want to exchange it but I have to travel for a month and don't know if i will have a replacement on time,and there's always the chance of getting one that is worse.
    So, has anyone had their screen replaced due to bleed? I don't think i can get a replacement from an apple retail store since I didn't buy it there.

Also, if i get a replacement do i have to format my hard drive or anything, i have some programs in there which have the serial number and registration info.

thanks for your help.

2. six.four macrumors 6502

I am fairly certain you're only able to get a replacement within 14 days if you purchased from a retail store.

Because you did not purchase from the store, it will be sent in for repairs - you will not receive a replacement.

They will tell you to backup your data before they send your MBP to the depot. They most likely will not touch your HD, but they tell you to backup your data just in case anyway.

3. Crash1234 macrumors regular

I went through two mbps with 84 screens that had horrible light bleeds and was able to have them exchanged. The macbook I have now which I'm keeping also has an 84 screen which is not anywhere near as nice as the 85 screens and it does have some minor light bleed. But the light bleed is not noticeable 98 percent of the time. I think, in general the 84 screens are inferior to the 85 screens so if you return you would be taking the risk of getting something worse. If it's bothering you though, you should be able to return without hassle.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

I struggled for a year to get a macbook pro without lightbleed: returning, exchanging, selling/buying etc. Crazy. Trust me when I tell you that ALL macbook pros will have light bleed even if some are slightly better than others. They all have it. Unless yours is terrible and annoying all the time, I wouldn't risk getting a worse one if I were you. What are the bumbps near the speakers?

What I finally realized is that it's better to keep repairing/replacing the LCD only than to risk getting a whole new computer with lots of potential for other defects and only a slim chance of a better display.

If you want a fantastic display with wide color gamut, great viewing angles, perfect backlight distribution, you'll need a desktop display. I just got a Lenovo l220x and it's pretty amazing and makes it painful to go back to my early 2008 MBP LCD.

5. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I had an 84 initially that was complete garbage too, extremely bad light bleed and very poor contrast. (and a few bad pixels) The replacement I got has an 85 screen, which is beautiful. Just a matter of getting lucky i guess.

6. e3lysium macrumors newbie

I really don't go in for all this "84" better/worse than "85" .. I think both panels have good and bad displays and reading these forums merely skews your views on the whole thing.

I have had experience with an 85 on a standard Macbook and it was shockingly bad in terms of contrast - dark scenes in movies would (even after calibration) result in detail loss. I have had two 84 screens on my MBP and one has suffered from a flickering issue and the one I have at present is absolutely perfect in every respect. Running any number of vision-related/lcd-tests gives exemplary performance results as far as I am concerned. I have a friend who is not too choosey and he has an 85 MBP and I believe his screen, again, to be inferior to mine when compared directly.. a little light-bleed and spot-light effects..

So, lets get away from 85/84/etc.. there are good screens and bad screens - it's just luck of the draw what gets passed quality-control..

7. ivinho thread starter macrumors member

There is a slight bump underneath both speakers. When i run my hand across the aluminum case it doesn't feel flat. It's just a slight defect and doesn't bother me too much.

Either way Im going to keep this MBP and if a problem does come up ill have the screen replaced.

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I have an 84 screen and if I turn the backlight all the way up on a black screen, I see a little spotlighting at the bottom. So what! I can't notice this at all during normal use. With a nice color calibration I found on this forum after trying several, the colors pop. I can make it too bright for comfort, there are no dead/stuck pixels, contrast is excellent, so overall it looks great. Why go digging for problems??

9. ivinho thread starter macrumors member

Im not looking for problems. I'm looking AT the problem. Any chance you can share the color profile you're using? Thanks