Applecare and 'liquid' damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MikeyyG, Dec 3, 2013.

1. MikeyyG macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I bought a new air with AppleCare four weeks ago... The trackpad hasn't worked properly for the last two weeks.

I took it to the Genius Bar yesterday and was told it was water damaged and not covered. Then I was given a $400 bill. I know that I haven't spilt water or anything on it. It's brand new. It hasn't left the house at all and liquids haven't been near it.

What can I do? The guy in the store refused to listen or even imagine that it wasn't me. I'm stuck with a bill for a problem that wasn't my fault at all. I'm so angry with apple!

If I end up having to give in and pay the $400 to repair the water related damage, is my apple care voided? Even if they've repaired the damage they say that I caused? Or will future problems still be treated for me?

Thanks all!

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I can not side with you one way or another.

My best suggestion would be to go back to the Apple Store and ask to talk to the manager. Tell them what you have stated here. Do not be arrogant about it, but do be adamant about it. Plead your case and ask how the genius came to the conclusion that the damage was caused by water.

If this gets you nowhere, then my next plan of action would be getting in contact with Applecare and talking to them, again explaining your case. This kind of accusation can certainly void your warranty. Thus any future problem you have down the road could fall on you having to pay to get it fixed out of pocket.

If this still does not get things solved, then I would contact head office. You may or may not get a response, but at least you can say you tried.

Apple has had problems over the years with their water sensors that they use inside their devices showing false positives. Not saying that is the case here. Also geniuses are not always correct in their diagnosis. Nobody is perfect.

Good luck and I hope you get it resolved.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you have friends over or do you live with someone?

They could have spilled water on it.