AppleCare and Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by babsuvulawho, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. babsuvulawho macrumors member

    Sep 7, 2006
    I've made my final decision and a Mac Pro with the ATI X1900XT is it. My question is to those of you who have already purchased a Mac Pro, how many of you purchased the extended AppleCare coverage? Also, for anyone, do you think the extended coverage is worth it? I've seen some discussion saying it is probably only worth it for a laptop, would you concur?

    Another question I have is with regards to returns. On the Apple site it says " If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA. "

    Now because I would be selecting the non-default GPU for my Mac Pro would that make it a "configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product" and thus not eligible for a return and refund?
  2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816


    Aug 15, 2006
    Sad but true. Theyll only repair it.
  3. apfhex macrumors 68030


    Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    CTO's can't be returned, 'tis true. But they don't get any worse AppleCare coverage. I got AppleCare with my Mac Pro purchase... I've had components fail on me in the past after the first year of use.
  4. bob5820 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 23, 2006
    35°0′36″N 80°40′45″W (35.0
    I didn't bother with AppleCare, though I did consider it. While thing could fail after the first year its far more likely they will fail before then. If I'd gone for a Macbook Pro instead of the Mac Pro I might have. Note books are just so much more likely to fail. You can always purchase it latter as long as its before your first year is up.
  5. suneohair macrumors 68020


    Aug 27, 2006
    I didnt get it, because if something breaks I could fix it myself more than likely. Except for the logic board.

    I may consider it as I get closer to the year mark though.
  6. babsuvulawho thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 7, 2006
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll wait and make a decision near the end of year one.

Share This Page