Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
O.K., I think my might mouse has finally had it. I tried all the tricks that have been talked about in the forums where you clean the scroll wheel, blow it out, shake it upside down, and throw it up against the wall (those are all true except the last one of course). None of the tricks are working anymore, it just simply won't scroll down. Does anyone know if applecare will take care of this, or does apple consider the mighty mouse a perishable item?

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
I only have the one year warranty. I'm trying to figure out how to get them to repair my mighty mouse without having to call them. I can't call them because I'm outside of the 90 day phone service. They don't make it easy on their website to figure that out.

I'm not going to buy a new mighty mouse until they come out with the wireless mighty mice. Can you call a computer mouse in the plural, mice?

dmw007 said:
I would imagine that AppleCare would replace your Might Mouse, but I think that you should just consider going with a new mouse. :eek: :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Just to clarify, is this a Mighty Mouse that came with your computer?

Are you close enough to an Apple Store that you could stop by the Genius Bar and have them take a look at it?

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Yes it did come with my computer. No I'm not close enough to an Apple Store. I live out in the middle of nowhere in the great state of Idaho. The closest Apple Store is in Seattle.

WildCowboy said:
Just to clarify, is this a Mighty Mouse that came with your computer?

Are you close enough to an Apple Store that you could stop by the Genius Bar and have them take a look at it?

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I had a Mighty Mouse that didn't come with my computer, and the scroll wheel died, (I know this isn't an option) but I took it into my retail store, they ordered a replacement for Apple then after the weekend I went and picked up my brand new Mighty Mouse, no questions asked, I just told them the scroll wheel stopped working :).

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
I so wish I lived near a retail location. I wonder if I could take it to the university bookstore who sells apple computers and have them send it in for me? Do you think that would work?

amacgenius said:
I had a Mighty Mouse that didn't come with my computer, and the scroll wheel died, (I know this isn't an option) but I took it into my retail store, they ordered a replacement for Apple then after the weekend I went and picked up my brand new Mighty Mouse, no questions asked, I just told them the scroll wheel stopped working :).

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
if it came with your computer, it should be covered. But i think you should take igary method and run it over with your car

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Get a MS mouse instead! :p I think people here are gonna kill me, but i myself like the egronomics of the MS mice.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Try this only if it's not covered by Applecare and you are just about to go buy a different mouse:

I don't know if you've actually gone through the process of opening up the mouse and unscrewing the ball assembly. It's the absolute last resort (short of buying a new mouse), but it can be done. I don't know if there is a thread about it on here or not, but googling for "Mighty Mouse disassemble" with get you a few hits with a few techniques. I've done it once (when my mouse quit on Christmas Eve :eek:)...lots of little things to clean and keep track of. :(

Hopefully I'll be covered though and you won't have to do it.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
my scroll wheel has recently taken a dump on me as well... its only 5-6 months old.... might just have to swing by the Apple store soon...

works sometimes... but when it does work, it seems jumpy and sticks alot...

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
ya... just today, i've had the same problem. I've tried all the tricks i could find on the net short of cracking it open, can scroll up, side to side, but not down.
It came with my 17 inch intel iMac back in January... i didn't get the extended coverage yet, they told me i could wait a year to decide on that, but this should still be covered under the 1-year thing right? But are you guys saying that even though its covered, they'll still charge me to figure out what's wrong? That sounds like a pretty ****** warrantee, or at least one that's only good for expensive problems. Right now though, a new mouse is pretty expensive for me. Seems like if its a common problem, apple should take care of us on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.