AppleCare and opened MBP box

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by verseafterverse, Nov 27, 2013.

1. verseafterverse macrumors member

After doing some searching here and taking to a few people everyone seemed to love apple care.But when I called apple up they wouldn't transfer over apple care with a open box macbook.Would anyone here purchase a open box rmbp or is it just better to stay away?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple doesn't sell open box computers. But if the MacBook is less than a year out from purchase you might be able to get AppleCare.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Did you get this from Best Buy or something? Anyway, AppleCare can only be added onto a Mac if the Mac was purchased less than a year ago. It doesn't matter if you just bought it.

4. verseafterverse thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for being unclear what i was asking was if getting a open box macbook is worth it? apple told me if I were to purchase a open box macbook retina that I would not have any warranty with them.

5. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Apple lied to you.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

This sounds incorrect, and I'd reconfirm with Apple. Did you speak with an Apple store representative or someone else? My faith in the retail outlet personnel has declined somewhat in the past year.

7. verseafterverse thread starter macrumors member

I asked apple tech support and they said it wouldn't have the 1 year warranty as it has been returned should I call up a apple store?(the nearest apple store is a hour away in orlando)

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Apple seems to be a bit pickier these days.

You at the minimum would have 1 year from the date of the original sale. Not to you that it, but the very first sale if it was registered with Apple. Not all are in which case you may start from day 1. Don't hold your breath for that. The warranty goes with the machine. If it's within that period, you can also buy the Applecare addition to extend the warranty.

Apple used to be pretty good about resetting the warranty date on an open box, they've done it for three of mine, but seems they're not so gracious anymore.

9. verseafterverse thread starter macrumors member

So I can just call them up and check if its registered before I buy the open box macbook and if it isn't registered then its okay to buy it?I don't want geek squad warranty I knew what was wrong with my old laptop i brought it to them and they told me the hard drive failed when windows was corrupt.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You could try that. Personally I'd get the serial number and see if I could register it in the support portal. If you can't it's already registered. You may have to establish a profile first.

https://supportprofile.apple.com/homePage

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it was an open box, if you input the serial number into Apple's website, it will tell you if the warranty expiration date corresponds to your purchase date or the original buyer's purchase date.

If it's the original buyer's purchase date, there is a little button that let you send Apple your receipt, and they have the ability to change the expiration date to correspond to your purchase date.

Then you can add AppleCare and it will expire from three years from the date of your purchase.

12. verseafterverse thread starter macrumors member