Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Coming up here in a month, my original year warranty with my unibody MBP will expire and I'm considering purchasing AppleCare and upgrading my RAM to 4gb. Now, the cost of that will be around $300. Which got me thinking, should I just buy the new unibody MBP refurb at $1449 and sell my unibody for around 1200? It would basically be a $300 cost to upgrade to the newest model and I'd have a year warranty..Or is that just continuing a bad cycle of always wanting to have the newest model?

What advice do any of you have for me?

omarjk

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
London, UK
I have been considering the economics of hanging on to laptops for longer than one or two years, for my White MB is 18 months old, and with new updates aplenty in that period, always depreciating in price.

If I sell the MB and buy the 13" MBP the difference to pay would be around £250.

The £250 loss in 18 mths equates to spending £1000 every 6 years on a laptop. That is so very reasonable that everyone should be doing it and nobody hanging on to laptops for much longer:

- in those 6 years I will have had 4 laptops not just one;
- I will be keeping up to date with technologies such as built-in SD card slot and whatever else changes inside, outside and on the side of Apple machines;
- the excitement of 4 laptops in 6 years in far greater than one ageing tank; and;
- the self-satisfaction is immense!

So much so that I'm posting a new thread with this comment to invite thoughts.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have been considering the economics of hanging on to laptops for longer than one or two years, for my White MB is 18 months old, and with new updates aplenty in that period, always depreciating in price.

If I sell the MB and buy the 13" MBP the difference to pay would be around £250.

The £250 loss in 18 mths equates to spending £1000 every 6 years on a laptop. That is so very reasonable that everyone should be doing it and nobody hanging on to laptops for much longer:

- in those 6 years I will have had 4 laptops not just one;
- I will be keeping up to date with technologies such as built-in SD card slot and whatever else changes inside, outside and on the side of Apple machines;
- the excitement of 4 laptops in 6 years in far greater than one ageing tank; and;
- the self-satisfaction is immense!

So much so that I'm posting a new thread with this comment to invite thoughts.

You should realize most people buy based on short run costs, but what it costs over a long time. Same reason why people buy iPhones, think it's cheaper than other phones because they don't realize they end up paying maybe twice as much later on.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
so are you guys saying it's better to keep it and upgrade the RAM/AppleCare? I know sometimes selling can be a hassle. I think that SD-slot would be great for me, not having to look around for my adapter and such.

omarjk

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
London, UK
so are you guys saying it's better to keep it and upgrade the RAM/AppleCare? I know sometimes selling can be a hassle. I think that SD-slot would be great for me, not having to look around for my adapter and such.

I was slightly confused by alphaod's post but I think he was getting at the fact that the majority like to keep their machines for longer as it gives them greater stability.

I think, dwd, that if you are about to buy AppleCare, you may as well take the plunge and go for the newer system. It's not always a bed of roses selling/buying a system, and I lost $450 on the MR Marketplace to a compulsive liar called Cybergypsy aka Sandy Gambino, who I trusted because of her great feedback.

But since I have sold a MB Air to a Bulgarian in a transaction that was very pleasant, despite it's own share of hitches, because we were both honest guys, who were not out to scam one another, and we made sure of it. I scanned and sent him my degree certificates and passport etc and he did something along similar lines. Those buyers who refuse to give such information out may well be a scammer avoided.

As you say, selling is a hassle, but you get a new toy out of it. There are some people who always want the latest gadget and go through 4-5 new laptops a year on this site, so don't feel bad to do it once in a while yourself.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I would get the RAM and applecare for your current machine if it does what you want it to...

...the built in SD card slot shouldn't be your sole reason to upgrade the machine...

The built in batteries are still too new a tech as apple has had battery issues for a long time now and if the battery is built in and it "bubbles" where does it have room to expand to besides deforming your case and/or damaging your logic board...

Good luck with your decision.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
Seconded. If the computer does what you want it to, get Applecare and RAM. I plan to upgrade the RAM on mine, and I already have Applecare.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
well, the other option is just not getting AppleCare to begin with. But I'm just a little weary about that option. IDK

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
well, the other option is just not getting AppleCare to begin with. But I'm just a little weary about that option. IDK

... use LA computer for applecare purchases in the USA = they have free shipping in CONUS...

Use Amazon for applecare purchases to OCONUS as the slightly higher price is cheaper than how LA computer would ship...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.