Applecare and replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by linear, Nov 9, 2008.

1. linear macrumors newbie

Hi all,

recently I ordered one of the new unibody MBP with the applecare protection plan and, as it seems to be very common, it was defective(dead pixel, loose battery cover, strange fan noise, several scratches) so I had to ask apple for a replacement.

The new machine is not perfect and also have some defects like some dust under the screen and that the sound of the right speaker seems to be louder than the one from the left speaker(I'm really dissapointed with apple's quality but that is not the point here)...anyway, since I really need the computer and is not clear that making more replacements I will get a perfect one I have decided to use this one.

The point is that I've checked that, unlike the first mac that was covered until 2011, this machine only appears to be covered with the standard limited warranty and I would like to know how to update the applecare so it covers my computer and not the one that I sent back to apple. Can I do this online?

Thank for your help.

PS: sorry for my poor english

2. linear thread starter macrumors newbie

3. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

Are you saying that you bought a macbook, put applecare on it; then apple swapped it out with another under applecare, but didn't transfer the warranty?

If that's the case, call apple support. They'll straighten it out. I had a similar problem with an iPhone that they fixed over the phone for me.

4. Mercellus macrumors regular

This is very simple to get resolved. Give AppleCare a call at your earlier convenience and explain that you purchased your computer and that it had some issues and that it was exchanged for another unit, however your 3 years of AppleCare warranty service were not transferred to the new unit.

You will most likely be asked to provide the serial number of your computer along with any relevant order numbers, at which point they should be able to transfer the warranty to the new unit for you. :)

5. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

Another thing to keep in mind is that the applecare will be effective from the date of purchase of your 1st computer, not when the replacement was sent.

6. M-X macrumors member

That wasn't the case for me - apple transferred the applecare to run from the date of purchase of the new machine, perhaps since it was within the first 30 days when it was swapped out. I would think after that the warranty wouldn't be extended however.

7. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

On mine I have Applecare a month before i bought my New macbook, the replacement was a unibody

8. linear thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the answers. I called apple and they solved the problem.