Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Would upgrading the hard drive and/or ram in a 2010 15" MBP affect my applecare warranty? Assuming I don't break anything in the process of course. I'm considering upgrading to 8 gb of ram and an ssd, but I have a year left on my warranty.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Upgrading RAM and HDD will not void the warranty, Apple even includes instructions in their User Guides for the Unibody MBP models.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Upgrading RAM and HDD will not void the warranty, Apple even includes instructions in their User Guides for the Unibody MBP models.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

Great. Just checking.

I was also wondering if anyone has any experience with the Intel G2 X25-M 160GB ssd in their MBP, as that's probably the one I'd use.

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
Great. Just checking.

I was also wondering if anyone has any experience with the Intel G2 X25-M 160GB ssd in their MBP, as that's probably the one I'd use.

It's OKAY... but I don't know that's I'd recommend it. I just put an OCZ Agility 3 into my system and love it. People have also been racing about the Samsung 830s (I think)... And OWC makes some good SSDs.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
It's OKAY... but I don't know that's I'd recommend it. I just put an OCZ Agility 3 into my system and love it. People have also been racing about the Samsung 830s (I think)... And OWC makes some good SSDs.

What's wrong with that intel? It's a generation older, but the 2010 MBP only has SATA II anyway so it wouldn't benefit from SATA III on the newer SSDs.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What's wrong with that intel? It's a generation older, but the 2010 MBP only has SATA II anyway so it wouldn't benefit from SATA III on the newer SSDs.

That Intel drive is one of the most reliable drives around, just not a current model as you said. If you can get a good price on it, there is no reason not to get one.

Then only downside at all might be that a newer SATA III would be faster if you ever moved it to a new Macbook in the future. If that is not a concern... go for it.

ratoto67

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
There is no problem swapping hard drives and memory. Btw, Intel SSD are just perfect ;)
However, I would strongly recommend you to keep the original hard drives and memory. In case, you do not have it they might refuse to repair your machine (I had this bad experience at the genius bar).

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002

Well... every generation of SSDs gets better, speed and more importantly, reliability. Since it's at such an early stage of development (SSDs in general), each generation seems to have vast improvements. (Think early stages of iPods, DSLRs or anything really)

That being said, I only say I wouldn't recommend it (not that I'd recommend against it)... because I've used several Intel SSDs before and they weren't anything spectacular... I feel like my OCZ Agility 3 has outperformed the Intels I've used.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
There is no problem swapping hard drives and memory. Btw, Intel SSD are just perfect ;)
However, I would strongly recommend you to keep the original hard drives and memory. In case, you do not have it they might refuse to repair your machine (I had this bad experience at the genius bar).

Wait..so do you have to bring the old ram and hd with you during repairs? Confused..

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
No, but depends on what the problem is.. It's not uncommon to be sent back home from the Genius bar for issues that they believe are caused by your 3rd party memory or hard drive. It's just really to be able to say... "see, it even happens with all the original stuff inside".

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I've been very lucky with all my Macs & haven't had any major failures. But I have gone to the genius bar a couple of times with friends. Both visits concered two different MBP's with problems.

Each of them had user installed ram & hard drives. In both cases the genius involved with repairs was courteous, easy going, and only kept the laptops for a few days.

That's excellent, especially considering how busy this large Apple store is. Just proves that AppleCare is certainly worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.