Applecare and third party sellers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Albator, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Albator macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I found some guy selling a brand new sealed MBP on a local classifieds website. He's selling it for roughly stock price, except I believe the tax is included, and applecare is also included, which makes it a sweet deal. However, I was wondering, how does applecare work in this case? I mean, I thought applecare was something you bought at some point, but not something that "came with" the notebook? And also, I don't think this guy would give me a receipt or anything, I mean it's quite obviously not a company, he only has a couple of MBPs on sale.

So anyway, how does this work, can I just show up at the apple store with my notebook and no receipt and they will handle it without a problem?

Thanks!

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

As for applecare, you can buy it when you buy a new computer or you can buy it later during the first year. It could be that he's already bought an applecare package and is just selling it with the computer.....maybe

You need to find out a bit more information as to who "this guy" actually is.....if he's a private party then the warranty may have already started running when he bought this computer.

If he's a legit reseller, then you should be able to get a receipt without any problem, and if you can't , then you should be worrying about what the real situation is.....how does a private party come to have several "brand new sealed" MBPs for sale anyway? And why is he willing to pay the tax and throw in applecare coverage? It might be a legit situation but you need to be careful.

If you walk into an apple store without a receipt, and apple's sales records show a sales date way earlier than when you purchased the MBP from this guy, then you're basically going to be out of luck since you wont be able to prove when you bought it. That could mean that you wont get the full warranty period on it

3. showtime macrumors 6502

You can check when the warranty starts by putting in the serial number in the warranty check on apple.com. For applecare, if he's selling it separate, you can just register it online and it'll add two more years to when your applecare originally started. If the applecare is already registered, then it is transferable. Just make sure to check when it ends.