Applecare and Unrelated Liquid Damage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by quotison, Dec 2, 2009.

1. quotison macrumors member

Here's my issue - looks like I need a new fan for my Macbook (bought in the summer of 2007, fyi), it's been very loud and increasingly ineffective in cooling down the computer. Genius bar pretty much confirmed it when I brought it in today. I didn't send it in for repairs right then because I still need the computer for upcoming exams.

About a year ago, I spilled coffee on the keyboard. After that the delete and eject button stopped working, I use a macro program to put delete on the backslash button and let it be. As far as I can tell, the fan is broke for reasons other than spilling liquid a year ago, but would a liquid spill void the warranty even if it didn't cause this damage? The genius bar rep seemed to suggest as such when I asked if the fan replacement is covered by Applecare, but I didn't ask follow up questions.

My school's computer store is having a sale on Macbook Pros on Friday, I'm thinking it might be time for a new one rather than having to pay for a repair.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it did or not, we can't say because we don't know or see where it was spilled. Unfortunately, even if the spill was very minor and caused no damage, if Apple sees it, they will most likely blame it on that and you won't be covered.

Do you know if the fans are spinning? If your fans aren't cooling down your MacBook, it might be dust causing it. It's something you can do easily if you're willing to open up your MacBook.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There's no such thing as "unrelated" liquid damage. If there's liquid damage it's not a warranty issue.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

This is going to be Apple's stance no matter what. You and them both, have no idea if the damage is related or unrelated to spilling liquid on the computer.