Applecare and Upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattZani, Apr 3, 2009.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Right, I've got just under 90 Days Left on my Stock Applecare Year, and im Debating whether i should go and find the cheapest i can, and be done with it, or save my money, so...

1. Wheres the cheapest Place for Applecare for my MBP?
    2. My Bottom Case has a small dent, will it cost less to replace this with Applecare, than without?
    3. Im Wanting to upgrade my HDD, if i didnt get the AppleCare, i would do it myself, but could i, with AppleCare, ask them to Install it for me? Possibly while doing something else?

Cheers.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) Ebay

2) Applecare is WARRANTY not INSURANCE, WARRANTY means you have to pay for any damage you have caused yourself, Applecare only covers manufacturing defects caused by Apple. So you will have to pay for any dents you caused youself.

3) Apple will upgrade your hard drive anyway if you ask nicely in any store, but its not official under Applecare. However they've done it lots of times for people on this forum under discression, i.e. good customer service. To be honest even a monkey could be trained to upgrade a hard drive, its so easy. Check ifixit.com if you still aren't sure how.

4(extra) Should i get Applecare? Yes. Where? Ebay, 80% less than Apple sell it.

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Thanks for the Help, Regarding 2, i knew i would need to pay for the part, i wasnt sure if the labour charge was going to be any different.

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

Applecare is a must for any mac laptop/desktop. It is not something you should skip. Apple is usually very good with their services.

Ebay is the cheapest you can find, use it with 14% off MS Cashback.

Be very careful of whom you buy it from, make sure they have all the important factors, good feedback history, more than 20 feedback, and covered under paypal.

I bought mine for 120$ for my MBP, which would cost 250-320$ from apple.

Apple won't fix what YOU broken. They only fix what THEY broke.

5. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I just finished an AppleCare purchase on eBay for my 17" MBP. It was $159.90 with a $20.00 cash back from Live.com.

The seller sent me all of the info with instructions within 2 minutes of the "Buy It Now" closing. Within another 5 minutes, Apple sent me my AppleCare certificate via e-mail.

It doesn't get any easier or better than that. :D

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Over 20? I'd be hesitant to buy from a seller that was anywhere under ~2000 for something like this.

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

Those people with over ~2000 has to start from somewhere. It is not like a store suddenly have 2000 feedback on first day.

Buying somebody with 2000 isn't always safer than with 20.

I got burnt with somebody with ~5000 feedback. Stuff happens, accounts do get hacked and so on.

The point is make sure all of your bases is covered for a refund. such as paypal protection.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sure, but ~2000 sellers tend to be more reliable than sellers with a rating ~20. You'll never be "100%" safe, so that's not really an applicable argument.

9. youpey macrumors member

an apple store will not upgrade your hard drive. i tried 3 or 4 different stores and i called apple 1800 number to see about it.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If you buy the hard drive with them, surely they would.

However if you took in a hard drive you've bought yourself, then no, they probably won't.