Applecare(APP) - how is it delivered?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weyus, Mar 7, 2008.

1. weyus macrumors member

A friend of mine recently purchased a new MBP Pro 17" (she's a teacher and plans to sell it to me immediately upon receipt ;)), and ordered APP with it. The APP portion of the order shows as shipped, but she hasn't received any email about it or anything.

So is the APP delivered with the machine itself? Does it have to be activated when the machine arrives? Should she have received something by now?

Thanks,
    Wes

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

You can activate AppleCare within a year of purchase, so it's not a rush. There is a physical box with a code in it as one option for getting it, which is probably what they're shipping, it might just be shipping from a different warehouse.

3. comptr macrumors 65816

well if it is ordered online then there is no apple care box since it is auto registered. I got no apple care box with my mac book pro when i bought it online it was auto registered.

4. weyus thread starter macrumors member

So how were you notified that it was registered? Was there a flyer in your MBP box or something? What date did it start from?

Thanks,
    W

5. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

For orders through Apple online you should be auto-enrolled. But you didn't get the info packet and the TechTool Deluxe disc?

6. weyus thread starter macrumors member

I made a mistake earlier, I just looked at the order and there is a section called "Complete" and the APP is under there. So it's not officially "Shipped" in the sense that the other (physical) things in the order that have already shipped are.

So, again, will I get something physical with the MBP machine in a couple of weeks when it arrives or is it electronic?

The reason I ask is that when my friend sells me the computer and the APP ;), she'll need to transfer the APP to me, and I want to know when she can do that.

Thanks,
    W

7. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

I was wondering the same thing. Turns out it's gonna get mailed to you around 5 business days from the purchase. Odd though, I got an email saying it shipped with my incase sleeve but when the incase sleeve got here, that's the only thing that came with it. Then I checked my mail and it was there. So be patient, and it something doesn't come within the next few days I'd give Apple a call.

8. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I received my Apple Care packet about a week after my MBP, it came via postal mail.

9. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Ditto.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As I recall, you get a physical box when you buy it separately and only a letter when auto enrolled with a new Mac. Just pop the serial number into Apple' site to see what the warranty status is. See links on lower right of page.

http://www.apple.com/support/

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If your not sure did Apple applied the APP to your Mac, you can always check it online by entering the serial number on this page. It'll tall you when the warranty will expire.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Get the serial number from the "About This Mac",
    click on the text under "Mac OS X" or goto "More Info..." and see the Hardware section.

If the APP isn't applied, contact Apple Support, they'll ask you for your order number/customer ID

12. comptr macrumors 65816

Nope got nothing but when I type in my serial number it shows that I have apple care.

13. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

That's interesting. I knew the enrollment process was different buying in store vs. online or by phone, but I didn't realize you don't get the same software disc. Maybe they have it for download somewhere.

14. madmartigan macrumors member

wait if they all ready registered me then im going to be pretty mad, I wanted to wait till my 90 days was almost up before i started the applecare. Will apple give me that extra 90 days if they enrolled me already.

15. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

AppleCare coverage is based on purchase date, not activation date. So it doesn't make a difference. Even if you activate 364 days after purchase, you don't get a longer coverage time.