AppleCare+ Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by milhaus, Apr 27, 2019.

1. milhaus macrumors member

Does anyone know what the protocol is for a paid replacement? I dented mine pretty badly and am willing to use one of my incidents - can I just walk in and ask for a replacement and pay the fee?

2. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

Batter make an appointment. You can try walking in but may have to wait a while.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Many variables come into play.
    1. It depends on if they consider it simply cosmetic.
    2. The person that helps you and that stores interpretation of corporate policy
    3. On hand stock

4. milhaus thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that’s kind of my question. To get a replacement under AppleCare + - I’m willing to pay for an incident - do I have to break it?

5. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I cannot advise or recommend any such action.
    In the current state, it was me with the apple shirt on I would direct the replacement decision to a lead or manager.

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You might want to do a Support Chat Session ahead of time to discuss the issue and (hopefully) set up a service appointment with the Genius Bar and then save and print that discussion. That way you have a written record detailing your case so if there is any pushback at the Genius Bar you have the previous discussion to fall back on which should (again, hopefully) make your case with a lead or manager (should you need to politely escalate beyond the Genius).

7. weeesss macrumors regular

I used AppleCare when I banged it and scratched the display. The Apple store sent it in and I ended up getting it replaced.

8. waw74 macrumors 68040

apple care covers 2 damage replacements (with a fee), OP is not looking for a free warranty repair.

-----
    To the OP
    It says "accidental damage" and mentions nothing about the screen,
    a dent would be damage.
    Your best bet (and probably lowest time involvement from you) is to call phone support, that's what I did when mine hit a tile floor.
    when you go into the store, they'll look at it, say "yep, it's broken", You'll probably have to handle the replacement through shipping anyway (at least that was the case for me, I walked into the store and asked the greeter, and that's what I was told)

On the phone, they'll give you 2 options.
    option 1 (time 2-3 business days to your replacement watch)
    If you've got a credit card with room on it, They will place a hold for the full cost of a replacement watch, and ship you both a replacement watch, and a box to return your watch in (or maybe just a new label for the box your replacement came in), once they receive your old broken watch, they'll release the hold.
    I did this, and had my new one in a couple days. You need to get your broken one in the mail within a few days as there is a time limit on the return. (they'll explain it all on the phone)

option 2 (time 5-10 business days to your replacement watch)
    they'll ship you a box
    you put your broken watch in that box
    once they receive the broken one, they'll ship the replacement.

both options only ship the watch itself, no bands, no charger or any other accessories.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

The op dented their watch. The reason I would defer to management to make the call is a dent may be considered cosmetic. If the watch is not functioning it’s a different story.
    The easy way out of the situation would let the repair depot make the call.

10. Picard323 macrumors newbie

Picard323

I recently took my S4(AppleCare+) into local  store in Meadowhall with 2 large annoying scratches on the bottom third of the screen. Was told it was a flat fee of £49 for accidental damage. Watch sent off, got message off repair centre 3 days later to say they were replacing the watch. Picked it up 2 days later & payed the £49 on pick up. Was straight forward.