AppleCare+ as a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by salimdao, Sep 26, 2013.

1. salimdao macrumors member

salimdao

Hello,

I got my Gold 64 5S on Monday. I love it and very happy about the color. I'm one to never cover Apple's workmanship with a case. But I'm concerned about getting scratches and scuffs on the iPhone.

Would purchasing AppleCare+ be a good "case" to cover my iPhone in case it does get scratches and stuff? I've never had my screen crack or never had water damage, so I've never felt the need to purchase it in the past. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Well, if you mean by "case" as in, get it replaced if something happens to it, then I suppose so. However that will mean replacing the phone and all of the hassles tied with that.

I would personally suggest getting a light weight case if you know you're not accident prone. I have an iPod touch 5th gen that I use a light silicone case on when I'm out and about, and I take it off when I know I don't need to worry about dropping it.

3. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

What are you trying to say?
    That you are going to return the phone to the Apple Store everytime you see a scratch?
    What do you expect to happen, them to give you a new phone?
    I think they have things in place for that type of abuse.
    I think AppleCare is meant to be for more sever issues.
    I apologize if I misunderstood your post.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You can absolutely take your phone in for scratches and they will replace it with Apple Care plus.

However:

1. You only get two instances where they will replace your phone under that specific Apple care.

2. It's $80 per incident to get it replaced.

So, no, I wouldn't say it's a good "case" for your phone. At best, it's a viable option to get your phone replaced if/when it is dinged beyond your ability to live with it anymore.

I do recommend Apple's new leather cases though. They are very, VERY sexy. Here's to hoping they make cases for their future iPhone releases.

5. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Get a Screen protector for the front and back of your phone, at the least, even with Applecare IMO.

6. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I did this with my 5 for the longest time. For those confused he means use the phone as is, no case. I respect that as the iphone is so elegant without a case. And actual phone cases cost between $20 to $80 but you're sacrificing your phones design for safety. As long as you're not accident prone I say go for it. In my experience the back got a couple of minor nicks and the front glass did get some minor scratches. Eventually I did have an accident recently but I was jogging and my kids scroller (my phone was in the cup holder) wheel hit a small hole. Whatever except that some how after the first little bounce, it bounced a second time and it shot straight up over my head landing on the bevel next to the power button. Screen was fine, just a slightly bad dent. Phone worked the same as it always had after the accident. Replaced it with AppleCare+ for $50, but the i5s came out so I bought it and sold my i5.

I am trying the apple case but this time I'm getting a iloome glass screen protector to help with the scratches on the glass ($16.99.) so if the case doesn't work out I'm protecting the glass.

7. salimdao thread starter macrumors member

salimdao

Thanks everyone for the replies and personal experiences! Greatly appreciated.

Nope, not every time I see a scratch. There are fee's for replacing the iPhone for a new one and limited to 2 repairs. Like I said before, I've never had screen cracks or water damage to my previous iPhones, so I wasn't sure if AppleCare+ was worth it to someone like me

My primary reason for the post was to see if I can use my phone with AppleCare+ and have the same sense of security that others do with a case. That if I drop it or something happens, it's going to be okay because I have a case (AppleCare+)

8. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

AppleCare+ extends your phones warranty but they also have advance replacement. This is where they put a $700 hold on your credit card, 2nd day you a phone replacement and then you pack your broken phone in the same box, sending it back free of charge. Also if you get rid of your phone you can cancel your AppleCare and get a potion back.