applecare at ebay & buying applecare immediately

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by turtlebud, Mar 17, 2009.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

I bought applecare for my Powermac G5 a few years ago and I remember thinking that the $100 I paid was a steal. I didn't see many other auctions for less than that (if any). A search today shows a number of auction for Mac Pro applecare for $75-80. Is this the common price that Mac Pro applecare is going for now?

The main reason I ask is because I'd prefer not to buy applecare for my Mac Pro until maybe 8-10 months after I've had it. I figure if there's anything wrong with it within the first year, Apple will fix it under warranty, and in the worst case scenario, if something is REALLY wrong with it, they'll replace it. In that case, if I had bought applecare already then I'd have to buy it AGAIN for the replacement machine.

Is that kind of weird logic (ie, that's very unlikely to happen) or is it sound reasoning?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Not weird, just gaming the system. :cool:

eBay is a great place to buy it - consistently the cheapest (slightly better deals rotate among other vendors, but you can spend your life trying to save $5). Although, eBay has been on the downhill skid for awhile so you may want to see if the people selling on ebay have off-ebay sites and bookmark those. Who? Me? Cynical? :p