applecare, better to wait to register?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nizzire7, Sep 26, 2008.

1. nizzire7 macrumors newbie

Hi,

my husband and i bought our iphones around the same time. he bought the applecare protection plan, but i did not. Should i wait to register the plan??...depending on whose phone may need it? suppose my phone breaks and THEN i register the plan under my phone's serial number. does that work?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You have to register it while it's still under its one year warranty. AppleCare extends the warranty to 2 years.

3. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I would do it soon. before you know it the year will be over and when your phone cracks or something comes loose your gonna have to get another one

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, it must be registered before your one year warranty ends. So, if you bought your 3G in July 11, '08, you must register your AppleCare NLT July 10, '09, to receive AppleCare coverage through July '10...

5. markgamber macrumors 6502

For an iPhone? Don't bother. Visit www.squaretrade.com instead. AppleCare only covers manufacturer problems. Chances are a lot better that you'll drop it, lose it or have it stolen. I have all my phones covered by SquareTrade for cheap and it covers everything. I only got AppleCare for the laptops because that's where it makes sense.

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I would wait until day 364. I too use the Apple Care mostly for the battery, and maybe the weird manufacturing problem. My insurance company, USAA, covers my iPhone for the other problems. I have the computer insurance which covers everything from theft, worldwide, to dropping it in the toilet. The coverage for all computers in my house ($8000 of coverage), including the iPhones, is less than $5 a month ($55 a year). Check and see if your insurance company offers similar coverage. I will buy the Apple Care at day 364 mainly to cover the battery.

Edit:
    Squaretrade is mistaken. USAA also offers the same type of coverage.